Thinking of an all in one box DIY

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by brentv, 11 Nov 2009.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey peeps,
    I've checked a few ways of building up systems and there are obviously a million ideas out there.
    The reef max all in one system seems like an approach I would like to adapt and hopefully do a couple of tweeks on.:whistling:

I have a good friend on the South Coast that owns a PG glass (bonus!) and a friend that does metal work... so my basics should hopefully not blow the piggy bank!
    What I have in mind is the following:
    1- An all glass tank in 10mm 1200lx800wx700h
    2-pationing off a back section of about 250to300
    3-have an overflow of about 200mm on the one side of the partioning going into a wet dry section then a sump followed by a pump compartment

The idea is to not have a sump at the bottom to keep cables to a minimum and have an open system without a cabinet or lid and hang the light from the ceiling!

Anyone out there that has done a similar build or has a few suggestions before the sillicone gun comes out please let me know?
    I will post a basic layout a bit later.
    I was also thinking of making a hole in the sump compartment with a drain open/ close valve for easy water changes.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Joh, Brent, you a brave man to do this .......

I have seen a system like this a while back BUT I would say this is not the best option for several reasons...

in 200mm you will not fit a decent skimmer
    at 700 high you will have to have bracing, bracing will make the back compartment all but un reachable
    if no bracing then you have to have super thick glass and that will cost $$$
    your DSb will be extremely small, you could not really gro macro algae in there and would not benefit from reverse photoperiod
    would be difficult to run a carbon or phos reactor
    no space for a kalkwasser setup or a CaRx if you went SPS
    you would no see the sump, so chances are you would only notice something wrong when it is too late.

If you want the clean look, my advice is have a simple overflow and plumb this to a remote sump, outside or in a different room, and have the filtration there.

IMO your current design will not satisfy long term reefing needs

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Wet/Dry? like in using bio-balls?

It should be fine if you are only going to keep fish. FOWLR

But this system will not be able to keep water parameters in line for any corals.

5. keyaam

keyaam

There is a LFS in Cape Town that has a 6.5m tank built this way. If you interested ill pm you there details.

6. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

This is a basic drawing I've put together.
    The sump area works out to 620Lx300Wx400H. (should be enough space for a skimmer and other kalk drippers etc?
    I will have access to the set up from 3 sides so I'll be able to monitor and check all thats happening pretty easy enough. I don't know the fancy name but what I call the wet dry area is going to have the floss/foam in it.
    [​IMG]

7. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Riaan, I know the depth issues that effect pressure on the glass. The water level is only going to be 600 high, so as far as I've checked 10mm glass is adequite?
    I'm not sure what you guys call the first compartment of the filter where the water "drops through, I've always known this as a wet/dry filter compartment?
    After that I'm sending it through a narrow compartment, where I would like to put a sheet of quite coarse sponge i think red sea are making a brilliant one at the moment, that allows water flow( don't wanna blockage!) and this I should be able to slide out if it get to clogged with debris over time?

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this is how tanks of the past were built for marines, i had one from Thiel Aqua Tech, anyone remember the grand daddy of marine keeping??... works well

as for the wet-dry trickle filter works great!!! i still use one, just use an ATS or vodka dosing to remove the little nitrates they create

9. dallasg

i disagree

10. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey Dallas,
    I haven't started the build yet, what would you suggest to make it more up to date and not from the past??? (get rid of wet/dry?)

11. dallasg

the sump is definitely the best route, as stated by neil certain things wont fit or will be hard to see etc...

rather have a bigger display tank and a small sump, one can have teh DSB in the tank, but then we limit the inverts etc we can have to stop digging it up.

12. dallasg

this design u have will work for fish only or tropical fish, given that its "old" it still works but not what we want for reef keeping

13. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

do any of you guys have basic schematics for a sump/filter that would suit a tank about 1200Lx600Wx600H?
    preferably something I could make in glass at the back or underneath the display section?
    would appreciate seeing a few options, I would like something that would work for various soft & hard corals, couple of fish & anemone?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Dallasg, when I said
    you said
    but one hour later you said
    ?
    or am I missing what you disagreed upon?

15. dallasg

i thought the tank was built already and no need to make changes, but since its not built and willing to change his plans then yes a sump is fine...

i do however have 3 3fts running like this, shop built, they house fish and corals and all my params are perfect using trickle and a skimmer...

Recent Posts