Thinking about a reef set-up; NEED HELP/INFO

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ijssoccerfreak, 24 Jul 2010.

1. ijssoccerfreak

ijssoccerfreak

Hi All!

I've had a fish only tank for a while, containing a few fish, and keeping them happy and healthy. I think i'm ready for the next step (as in a reef) but i'm not sure what steps i should take to be successful. I'm pretty sure i will need new lighting, for i only have (i believe) a T8 twin bulb set up. I also have a fluval 205 canister filter. Any information would be great! Very excited!:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Welcome to masa buddy, if you have t8's it will indeed be a wise choice to upgrade and the canister filter......gumtree it, not very useful in marine keeping

4. ijssoccerfreak

ijssoccerfreak Thread Starter

what do you recommend?

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Thats a pretty broad question dude :) it all depends on what you want to keep so its all bout the research in the end. Soft corals that don't require much light (xenia, mushrooms, zoas ect), minimum id say 2 t5 bulbs, one actinic and one 10,000k, but the more bulbs the better. Depends on tank depth aswell, details of your setup would help.

If you wanna keep anemones more photosynthetically dependant corals like stony corals(the gurus will give you more info on these, im still bit of a noob) and want that lovely shimmer effect on the water you would need metal halide lighting.

Hope this helps pal, shout if any other questions :thumbup:

6. crispin

crispin

hey soccer, welcome to masa great to have you join:)

its a lovely step to go from a fish only system into a full blown reef as there are so many new and beautiful things you can keep with a reef set up. But there is a little researching you will need to do before you get anything so that you can decide what you want to keep, what you like the look of, and then we can advise you on what eqauipment you will need to have, and secondly what info you will need to understand to allow those things to thrive in your tank.

why dont we start at the very beginning with you telling us a little more detail about the tank you have? I assume this is the tank you wish to convert? Could you maybe post a pic of it for us, and show what fish you have in it?

How big is the tank (width, length, height of water)?
    How many l is the display tank
    is there an overflow?
    Is there a sump?
    where do you store equipment like heaters etc?
    Do you know what the Sg is and do you have a refractometer or hydrometer to measure the salt content?
    Do you have any live rock, and do you have any substrate, if you have substrate what size is it?

I could keep going with loads of questions, but lets start there so that we have a better idea of the tank you have and see what else we can do to help you convert to a beautiful reef:)

welcome to masa and happy posting:)

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome to MASA, i would agree with all that Crispen has asked, the only thing that concerns me when people swop from a fish only system to a reef is....Have any medications been used in the system that contain copper? Copper is a great medicine for fish but is deadly to inverts in minute quantities.

8. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi soccerfreak... i'm also new on MASA, there is a lot of info there.
    Your lighting my be a problem - (from what I have read) but one thing to consider as well, are the fish that you currently have considered to be reef safe - just something to look into as well.
    Good luck

Recent Posts