Think I found source of nutrients for algae!

Reaction score
I think the biggest source of nutrients for nuisance algae had been under my nose all the time! Inside the compartment highlighted in the red circle is fine crushed coral through which some water filter into the next compartment and in turn overflows into the last compartment of the sump. I found that the crushed coral trap a lot of detritus between waterchanges(I vacuum it everytime I do a waterchange). I want to remove all of the crushed coral, cut out the pane in the blue circle and then move my skimmer as well as some LR into that space. Would you guys recommend I do this, or are there any other options?

Can't upload the pic, but here is a link:
Sump2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hostinghttp://http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn37/Mtroboer/?action=view&current=Sump2.jpg

Shovel out the crushed coral over a period of 3-4 weeks, doing it slowly shouldn't have an impact on the perams, then once empty, either cut the silicone or hit glass with hammer to remove:)

Sump2.jpg

Hit the glass with a WHAT?:scared: Just kidding I want to do it with water in the sump, so i will have to be patient and use a razorblade- just hope I dont cut any fingers off.

Thanks Sean, how the hell did you do that?! No matter how I tried I couldn't upload the pic.

Boy, I've always been a fan of MAGIC!!!! Would you mind teaching me some?:lol: :lol:

Why take the glass out? I would rather use that compartment for carbon and Phos remover.

JP, if you need help to remove the glass call me :p I'll help anytime. I've had to do it before. That might be a source or it might not. I ran a 3ft tank with coarse gravel about 4 inches thick and had no nitrate problems. Maybe try to get filter socks and filter the input to your sump. IMHO the water should first go to your skimmer and then to your dsb. There is lots of different ways, but that should help with the detris

Thanx wikus, I will give you a shout. The main reason I want to remove the glass is that I want to move my skimmer away from the return pump but all my other chambers are too deep for the TS1, and in removing the glass I will be able to lower the water level enough to be able to run the TS1 in it. I have done measurements to see if raising the skimmer from the bottom would help, but found that there would then not be enough space at the top of the sump to fit it in! Will try the filter sock idea, could you get me one Wikus, or would a stocking do?

Thanx wikus, I will give you a shout. The main reason I want to remove the glass is that I want to move my skimmer away from the return pump but all my other chambers are too deep for the TS1, and in removing the glass I will be able to lower the water level enough to be able to run the TS1 in it. I have done measurements to see if raising the skimmer from the bottom would help, but found that there would then not be enough space at the top of the sump to fit it in! Will try the filter sock idea, could you get me one Wikus, or would a stocking do?

MtroBoer - why don't you just "lift" the skimmer with an empty tupperware container - or even better yet - with some egg-crate?

MtroBoer - why don't you just "lift" the skimmer with an empty tupperware container - or even better yet - with some egg-crate?

Hi Jacques, did look at it at first, but then my skimmer won't fit into the sump!

Back
Top Bottom