Things i see...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by saaid, 29 Nov 2011.

1. saaid

saaid

Hey peeps, I work in the fishing industry and as the season ends I now see more and more different fish being caught in the net. Sometimes a few weird ones too, I recently saw a tan color fish which was about 8-10mm round/thick but as long as my arm with a mouth probably the length of my forearm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As of late a lot of Rays and small Sharks came through, probably feeding.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Eish
    Dont you'll throw them back in? or are they all dead by then?

4. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

is that a shark laying upsidedown there?

Last edited: 29 Nov 2011
  5. SteveZi

SteveZi

I see Eagle ray, Maasbanker and Sardine
    What are they used for?
    those eagle rays are good jumpers - you have to cover the tank if you wanna keep one:whistling:

6. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

Depends on the size, these come off a Palegic vessel so its very difficult or rather say near impossible to get it out once caught.

7. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

Imagine keeping them :) It was a brown Shark yes, had leopard kind of pattern.

8. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

Sardine, Mackerel & Maasbanker is for bait export. Long liners brings in Hake, Kingklip etc.

9. SteveZi

SteveZi

How do they process the sharks, rays,catfish etc? for petfood?

those catfish taste better than most people would know...

10. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

We don't process those, goes on as waste sad to say.

11. SteveZi

SteveZi

that's a bummer man.

thanks for sharing your pics - keep your eyes open for strange things - the coelecanth was discovered this way.

12. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

That fish must be from the dark ages:eek:

13. seank

seank

I understand that this is your job and income, but still sad to see this happening, and I can only imagine how many of these creatures gets killed by man's greed. Sad, very sad. [​IMG]

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

thanks for sharing man, please carry on posting pics

15. SteveZi

SteveZi

Soon enough, mankind will pay the price for its disrespect of all things living.
    This is what they refer to in economics as "geleentheidskoste" - and most all industries are guilty of it.

16. pXius

pXius

Geleentheidskoste is money lost when the most effective investment is not followed. Ie. If you give Absa R5 they give you R10 back. But if you give FNB R5 they'll give you R12 back. So investing with absa has a R2 "geleentheidskoste" or oppertunity cost.

This is just using the most cost effective harvest methods with no regards to nature. Like foresting.

17. SteveZi

SteveZi

Geleentheidskoste is measured much broader than only in monetary terms and includes everything of value.
    Please forgive me for quoting from wikipedia:

Opportunity cost is assessed in not only monetary or material terms, but also in terms of anything which is of value. For example, a person who desires to watch each of two television programs being broadcast simultaneously, and does not have the means to make a recording of one, can watch only one of the desired programs. Therefore, the opportunity cost of watching Dallas could be not enjoying the other program (such as Dynasty).

Non-monetary opportunity costs

Opportunity costs are not always measured in monetary units or being able to produce one good over another. For instance, an individual could choose not to mow his or her lawn, in an attempt to create a prairie land for additional wild life. Neighbors of this individual may see this as unsightly, and want the lawn to be mowed. In this case, the opportunity cost of additional wild life is unhappy neighbors.
    Evaluation

The consideration of opportunity costs is one of the key differences between the concepts of economic cost and historical cost. Assessing opportunity costs is fundamental to assessing the true cost of any course of action. In the case where there is no explicit accounting or monetary cost (price) attached to a course of action, or the explicit accounting or monetary cost is low, then, ignoring opportunity costs may produce the illusion that its benefits cost nothing at all.(*eg, pollution, or bycatch ) The unseen opportunity costs then become the implicit hidden costs of that course of action. Accounting cost includes only costs that have been explicitly incurred, whereas, economic cost includes opportunity costs..

*my interpretation

Last edited: 30 Nov 2011
  18. pXius

pXius

The * version is correct yes, and if that's your view, once again correct and I agree. But your previous post
    indicates that you are referring to a monetary/economic use of the word.

19. pXius

pXius

Anyway,

@saaid
    When you say they go to waste, what kind of disposal methods do they use? Thanks for the pics, very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. SteveZi

SteveZi

I was referring to that branch of knowledge/subject called: economics
    If I wanted to refer to something monetary I would have used the word money:)

21. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

The problem here is the bycatch,unfortunately we can not control that. Some companies Mackerel which at times as there is a demand for but there is a capped value in place so should we in SA exceed it the whole fishing industry will stop for that season until the next. So too with exceeding your quota you could loose your permit or fishing rights. Scientific meetings with MCM (marine and coastal managment) they always talking biomass of fish species and the affects it has on migration patterns. We do not trawl btw.

So as with any industry there are measures in place to prevent decline in certain species.

Same with our hobby,how many fish has died in our care since it started? Who knows? I have for one passed on 5 fish, 3 clowns and 2 gobies but yet we as humans are still inclined to persist because thats what we want. As time passes technology has allowed us to accept their death because we dont have the best of equipment so we go out and buy the best and then thats where economics comes into play. All of a sudden you must have this to keep that? Then a fish is rare and a LFS wants R2000 for it? Who is he to decid for it? Now too fish get graded and approved? Yet again economics.

Anyway,i am babbling now.

How we dispose of the waste? We blast freeze it and send to waste management or farms or companies that make fish meal. And we give it for free LOL

Recent Posts