These fish reefsafe????

Reaction score
I always wanted to ask this and would like to get some more info from the gurus:

Are these fish coral and reef inmate friendly????

Chaetodon auriga

Chaetodon_auriga4.jpg

Chaetodon falcula:

Chaetodon lunula:

Chaetodon Tinkeri:

Chaetodon ephippium:

Chaetodon_ephippium.jpg

Longfin Bannerfish(Coachman) Heniochus Acuminatus:

Schooling Bannerfish (schooling Coachman) Heniochus Diphreutes:

538440052_41ceb84163.jpg

I would like to know if it is possible to introduce any of these fish to a soft coral and Lps coral dominated system. Please elaborate.....

Reaction score
butterflys are lps and softy chompers. you can get lucky though, the bannerfish i read that the were ok. but you take the chance with them all. just what i've read. i could be wrongly informed

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
butterflys are lps and softy chompers. you can get lucky though, the bannerfish i read that the were ok. but you take the chance with them all. just what i've read. i could be wrongly informed
Sounds about right, not all butterfly fish are coral munchers but it is down to the individual fish, not a chance i'd take, if i had loads of softies or LPS in a tank.

moz

Reaction score
Check out fishbase they normally have quite a detailed list of what the fish eat, just checked Chaetodon auriga and this is what they say "Feed mainly by tearing pieces from polychaetes, sea anemones, coral polyps, and algae"

Reaction score
Have Auragi and Racoon butterfly fish (15cm), have tried but they do eat corals ;/. never seen local EL sea anenomes dissapear so quick. Best suited for FOWLR.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
tricky one to answer without just conforming to the normal answer of "NO"" when i see some of the overseas forums and their sucess with aditions of butterflies to their systems..... cautiously id lean towoard no, but there are the odd occasion that the species mentioned above have been witnessed in a complete system containing LPS/softies and sps... i am more enclined to believe that they should be treated as we do angels.. some with luck ,and individual character not being peckers..

Reaction score
I think this was really interesting, and would like to thank you all for your feedback. Maybe I should use these types of fish in the Marine Pond

Reaction score
To re-open an old thread, are any butterflies reef safe? I know u can add CBB's and Moorish with caution but are any others? Lanzo says above that the coachman is, but is it as this is one that i have been interested in myself. I've also read that Heniochus diphreutes is reef safe while H. acuminatus is not. How do u know which is which?

Reaction score
Yea Kunhardt it is, and if you dive you can find them around Nahoons Reef ;)
So the reef safe ones are available locally Storm? If only i snorkeled. Do u think the one in the LFS is from around here? I see they have a lot of butterflies at the moment.

Reaction score
Kunhardt that R300 fish *could* be local but u know its illigal to catch and sell local fish ;)

Reaction score
Kunhardt that R300 fish *could* be local but u know its illigal to catch and sell local fish ;)
lol Storm, i see u know which one i am talking about. Went to look at corals over the weekend and he caught my eye. :)