These Damn Aiptasias

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Allen, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Allen

Allen

Hi everybody :wave2:,

I am in a loosing battle :12: with aiptasias!!!!!!!!!
    Tried all the so called remedies from Copper bands to joes juice, hermits to peppermint shrimp!

My water parameters is what it should be and there is nothing that can stress these anemones that would make the population double by the day? :sad:

Some people say I must boil the rocks, but that is definitely not an option for me cause
    who wants to loose the precious creatures in the rocks?

If there is any...anybody that could give me some advice :helpsmilie:to what can be done I'll appreciate it a hell of a lot!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i used a tropic marine product, forget the name, but using it to inject the buggers worked very well...

4. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanks Neil, I've even tried marine,

works well, but I could only get to the big ones for the injection and by the time the smaller ones gets bigger they've taken over the tank again. Another problem, how doe you get to the buggers under the rock and in the little crevices?

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i found removing the rock to another tank or even bucket helps.... nuke them and wait till any show themselves again and repeat the process when the rock is "clean" then repeat the process with another rock ...

I see my overflow is full of the buggers, have no idea how i am going to kill them...

6. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Same with me, their every where!! filters, sump, overflow even in the skimmer!

I've got a separate tank but not all of my live rock fits in the tank and as soon as i put the clean rock back in the main tank they go ATTACK!!!!killkanga

And another problem is they are also in my gravel how do I get them out of that?

I heard nudibrach's does a good job, but where in SA do you get such a critter? Don't think any LFS sells them?!

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use slaked lime, or "Gebluste Kalk" from the pharmacy. Dead cheap, under R10. Ok it is not the purest solution.

Flat teaspoon, quarter cup of tank water. Stirr it. Then use a small injection.
    But if you touch them with the needle the pull back into the rock.

But what I found is that you must first spray some liquid over them. It kind of stuns them. And they sit still and you can jab them with the needle into the mouth and fill them up. Do not burst or pop them. Can even leave some white powder on the rocks were they been, when he pulled back. When he comes out and opens his mouth...

Just do not do the full tank in one go. you will push your PH up.

8. noproblem

noproblem

I had a similar problem in my nano tank, chucked in a couple of peppermint shrimp and they chomped the lot in about 2 weeks

:thumbup:

9. gali

gali

I also had the same problem. What I suggest is to get a syringe from the chemist (yes they will thinkyou are a drug addict). Then get some kalk (just the normal kalkwasser solution you put in your kalk stirrer) and mix with a little RO water. inject the aiptasias. I found this works way better than the Joes Juice applicator. You can do this for mujano as well. If they show themselves again, inject them again. I am starting to win the battle now cos I also had an outbreak. Every Saturday I used to dedicate a bit of time to go aiptasia bashing and it is finally working.

10. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

For some odd reason I,ve had no luck with peppermints. they ate everything except aiptasia.

I thought I might give them a try again, only problem I can't find any store in Pretoria thats got them in stock for the last month or so.

11. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Gali,

It looks like I need just a bit of patience, I've been nailing these buggers for months(+- 11) now and no luck, they regenerate faster than what I can kill.

12. Afsal

Afsal

its can elimi aptasia (or sumthing like that). works well .....

13. gali

gali

Even with a needle and syringe?? They are terrible. Hope you get it right

14. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

I also spotted three of these in my tank after it had been clean for months. Will have to use the kalkwasser method again as this works great!

15. crispin

crispin

Shame allen sounds like youve have a real problem there :( Not good to hear at all.

Ive only ever injected them, but i have never had a major problems, sounds like you have a massive outbreak, especially the ones in gravel etc. I do know if they get that bad, most people boil the rock...... :( Tank girl had to.

what a bout a tank shot so we can see what you mean?

16. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Crispin,

Yup they are bad!! All my rocks looks like this (top Photo). The white spots on the top of the rock are due to me emptying half a bottle of joes juice.

They are everywhere in the gravel to, even the bi-color blenny can't almost get into his shell-home!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. FransSny

FransSny

allan..just keep going the "gebluste kalk" thing has started working for me, I just dont inject...that made it worse for me (MO), i switch off all powerheads and carefully drip into the aptasia's mouth

as riaan said dont do it in one go though..plays around with the paramaters

18. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Thats quite rough....Looks like you are trying to farm aptasia!

A method of killing Aiptasia and Majana anemones in aquariums comprises filling a dispenser with an anemone killing mixture, comprising purified water, and effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt, placing a tip of the filled dispenser near a mouth of an anemone and dispensing a small amount of the mixture such that it is consumed by the anemone. An anemone killing mixture comprises effective amounts of calcium hydroxide and non-iodized salt dissolved into and mixed in boiling purified water.

Got that from www.freepatenentsonline.com

19. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Yes and its now time to harvest!:gunsmilie:

I'll definitely try your idea, thanks for the link!!!!

20. crispin

crispin

shees allen thats hectic :( sorry to hear mate.

i would just keep at them with kalkwasser to be honest. But some of the rock looks well covered, it may be worth the war to just cook those.

u could sell the rock to Dallas, he thinks they are nice??

Frans does have a good idea for a major invasion like that, but head that warning of turning off all flow. I would include return for the time you are killing them.

Perhaps wednesday nights for the next 9 months should be "anti aptasia night!"

make sure you are testing you parameters if you do go this rout though!

PS. thanks for the id on that bicolor blennie, i was so looking at your invasion i would have pegged him as alien too :)

21. crispin

crispin

NOTE, purified water....RO water in the mix. Not tap water from the kettle!

Recent Posts