thermostatic cooling fans

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Fred d, 12 Jan 2014.

1. Fred d

Fred d

hi all

I built an led unit a little while ago an it works like a charm ...

only thing is ...

the led chips are mounted to 2 good heatsincs and cooled with 4 x 92mm 12 volt cooling fans . these fans , at the moment are powered by a 12 volt transformer and it switched on and off by a manual timer .

I would like to know ...

is there a simple , cost effective and reliable solution to these fans being switched on and off by a temperature sensitive thermostat type devise .

I have tried to ask around for thermostatic type fans but people look at my as if I have boogers drooling down my chin when I ask about such things , and with labotomised facial expressions just shrug their shoulders ...

some advise on this problem would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: 12 Jan 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

Google thermostat / temperature control circuit. A thermistor usually does the sensing part and the logic part is handled by an OPAMP to switch the fans / heaters on.

COmmunica may have a ready made kit which you can put together with a soldering iron and a few simple tools.

5. cknipe

cknipe

You don't get this build into the fan itself. You would need to build it yourself (cheapish), or buy an controller with a temprature probe (couple of hundred up to thousands dependant how good you want to go).

6. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

I want it to be as simple as possible chris . the fans run fulltime and its not needed . I want the fans to come on when the heatsincs get to about 40deg c and to stay on till they have cooled down sufficiently ...

7. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I would also like to do the same with my diy led lights... especially at night there is no need for the fans to be on

9. JackSplat

JackSplat

There are several ways to do this, as mentioned above. The cheapest would be an analogue temperature control circuit, something like this Temperature Control Circuit Using 555 IC | Circuit Diagram ,the next best is a simple timer, when the light is on, the fans are on. These fans do not chow that much power, usually 1 -2 watts each. The noise may be more of an issue than the power. Of you want to go to a more acurate controller, an arduino with relay and temp sensor is the way to go,

Temperature Sensor - DS18B20

Relay 4 channel 5V

Arduino Leonardo

If you go the arduino route then you can do much more, albeit it is more expensive. If you choose to control the lights via the arduino as well then it becomes much more cost effective

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

defiantly possible with arduino, but I suspect your fans will be turning on and off very often.

I run my fans as soon as the led's turn on and turn them off then the leds switch off.

Id rather over cool than undercool.

11. RaveMan

RaveMan

Buthcherman do LEDs heat up
    Mine do and I was wondering if something's wrong.

12. cknipe

cknipe

Yes, LEDs will heat up, especially power LEDs which is in the 5W to 10W+ region. Too much heat, and they will burn out (which also happen to be why 220V globes burn out - the heat ;))

Fred the only way you can do what you want is with a controller - it doesn't need to be expensive however.

Both of these should work for you: Temperature Sensitive Switch (KIT36S) [KIT36S] - R96.67 : Yebo Electronics or Temperature Switch (KIT30S) [KIT30S] - R75.24 : Yebo Electronics

Would be happy to assist if you do need help hooking it up

13. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I use a Profilux Propellor breeze module.
    I set temperature...If the temperature goes above set point the fans are switched on...Depending on how high above set temperature the propeller breeze controls the speed of the fans...The higher the temp the faster the fans spin and vice versa...

I was using it to control the fans on my Idol Marine Evaporative cooler, ig uess you can do the same for your LED lights

14. SeanH

SeanH

Also, if you decide to go Arduino, as @JackSplat mentioned, you can start to think out the costs per controlled "area" - i.e. lighting, wavemakers, temparature sensing, fan control for coolling heatsinks etc.

A good way to go in terms of fans is to get some PWM fans of Ebay and that way there are no relays in the mix which are constantly switched. Also then the fan is not constantly switched on and off AND THEN you can set threshholds in Arduino with buffer or you otherwise have your fans on and off ad nausium because the threshold is just "so" that it "teeters" on the edge of hot and cold... hope that makes sense and so it may switch on and off 10 times a minute - a lot of energy waste and causes spikes which will mess with the power supplies in the mix etc

I have built based on Jarduino that do all of this with 3.2" touch screen. Fact is you can start with JUST the cooling then let it manage your lighting then feeding etc etc etc

But long term (give it some thought) if you JUST go with a temp control the initial expense may seem reasonable but if you plan it a little more now could set you in good stead for adding a LOT of functionaity.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2014
  15. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

@SeanH I need some help with my build in this area. did you buy the jarduino code?

16. SeanH

SeanH

@butcherman hey bud - yes i bought the code. I am also in contact with Jamie for a custom version. He is busy with a new version which has a lot of enhancements but he is busy with "family stuff" now as they had a little bambino not too long ago so he isn't pushing jarduino much right now.

I am not sure what a custom version would rush me at this stage but it's not too important right now.

What help do you need?

17. SeanH

SeanH

AH another thing i am messing with is custom circuit boards for connection to the Arduion for Jarduino. So bascially I create the custom circuit in Eagle then create tool paths for the Gerber files and then make the circuit board on the CNC.

Another future plan is NOT to use actual arduino boards BUT to use the ICs from the Arduinos and build a fully integrated circuit with all the "sub" circuits on one board. That should cut cost down reasonably too.

I have vesion 1 board designed for the Arduino. I just need to test it now. Version 2 will be the integrated version. So in essense the V1 will connect to the Arduino with the rise pins of ribon cable but it will have all the connectors for expernal power, Fansn RTC incorprated, PWM chips etc etc. In fact the PWM chips ate the same as is used by the dude that made the LED controllers for the Jarduino/Arduino. So rating is the same.

Oh if i just had more time...

18. Fred d

Fred d Thread Starter

cool chris . will go to yebo and check it out ...
    if its to higher grade I will give you a shout

:thumbup:

Recent Posts