TheGroves 5ft 600L

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by TheGrove, 10 Jun 2013.

1. TheGrove

TheGrove

Hi Guys,

So after many weeks of very hard work, lots of cash on some very high quality LR and equipment :) My tank is coming along.

Just got 2/3 of my LED unit done, it comprises of 1.2m of aluminium u tubing bolted together, on either side I have 2 banks of 4 x 10W 14000k-20000k and 1x 10W royal blue, will install the third one this weekend. 3 x 6500K coming in this week, so in total will have 150W led :) The photo below doesnt really do it justice, it is bright, very bright.

[​IMG]

Built a PCB up using meanwell drivers and a 7A meanwell PSU so have capacity for an additional 200W led's so lighting will not be an issue and I will continue to add to the unit until I have a decent unit :)

The Anemone and two clowns seem very happy, the anemone attached to the rocks within the first 10 minutes and has been moving around but seems to have found a spot that he likes, photos don't do his colouring justice, also he is eating very well been feeding him shrimp.

going to build the canopy next, want to finish the light unit first so I can see how high to mount the lights.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Nice Led build.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looking good, how long the tank running for an anemone and clam??
    also dont make it too bright :)

5. the fish

the fish

nice nice

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Great build, how long have the tank been running?
    Nennies are very sensitive to new tanks! Your tank should be very mature before adding a nennie.

Best of luck, and keep an eye on that nennie!

7. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Tank has been up for 2 months, so new tank I know please done blast me I am well aware of the requirements of the cuddly creature and will ensure he is well looked after.

Monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Salinity, PH, Alk, etc etc twice daily just to make sure everything is a ok. That was the LED's turned up to max, currently have them dimmed down(meanwell units are awesome) just to give the little fellas time to adjust.

No clam, just clown and the anemone :)

No more inhabitants will be going in for some time, only another 20KG base rock, want to let the tank settle for the next few months.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2013
  8. Ikraam

Ikraam

nice bud what r u using to dim them led's ???

9. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Thanks @Ikraam, the Meanwell PSU that I bought has adjustable voltage control, so a little dial that you turn and they dim with no flicker works great.

The PCB mount drivers that I bought each handle 5 LED's and are dimmable via PWM as well so my next project is a LED controller.

I am going to be buying an additional driver, 3 x 10W UV's and 2 additional Royal Blues, should get decent colours from the corals.

Nice thing about DIY is for minimal cost I can make lots of changes and great expansion capabilities.

PSU - R400 (got lucky, old stock so paid old price)
    NES-350-48 - PSU ENC I=220V O=48VDC @ 7.3A

LED Driver PCB Mount - R90 x 3
    LDD-1000H - CONV DC-DC PCB I=9-56 O=2-52

Then just the PCB board some terminals and a case.

So for around R800 bucks I got 150W LED driver fully dimmable via the PSU and PWN for individual banks, and only R90 extra for each 50W that I add :D max it out at 350W (wont go more than 300W)

The last thing I need to do is install the centre bank of LED's and mount 3 silent fans just to get a bit of air moving over the heatsink to keep it nice and cool.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts