The world's longest build

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by naptalene, 1 Apr 2008.

1. naptalene

naptalene

For the last year I've been rebuilding my tank. You may think it's a monster from the time-frame but it's only a 270L. I have been taking my time and trauling all these forums as I go - and broken this, then fixed that, then broken it again, then discovered a siphon I never thought of etc. :whistling:
    But lo and behold - It is here and has water.....it even has live-rock.
    This is the old tank

[​IMG]

It was one of the old trickle filter in the back things that I bought second-hand. I slowly got rid of more and more of it and things were going well until a huge crash happened. This looks better than it actually did.:(

[​IMG]

Still don't know why it crashed but I decided to do things again properly.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You still have no idea what happened? try to describe it a bit, tell us what went wrong we may be able to prevent a repeat performance:)

4. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

New tank.....

Decided to go for SPS particularly, so started getting things ready in terms of gear.
    Lighting has been upgraded to 4 T5's (Geisseman Blue light and Actinics) and 2 150W DE MH's

[​IMG]

Rio running as re-circulating pump from sump. Tunze 9010 Skimmer, Calcium Automat, CO2 system/PH controller. DSB with flourescent light.

[​IMG]

SCWD running on a closed loop (getting microbubbles at the moment so not running)
    2x Seio 820's for in-tank circulation.

Decided to build the rocks as I wanted to have a very open structure and only have 1 or 2 big. It was quite a learning curve and the curing was confusing as I got some weird results (the tub itself had absorbed something that spiked the PH:nono: Reckon I waited an extra 4 weeks that weren't needed in the end but hey, rather safe than sorry)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shows a hole that's in the top piece. The halides punch a shaft of light through onto the gravel. Looks really cool.

[​IMG]

I have a 1 inch layer of various sized coral sand on the bottom now. I like the look and it's not getting too blown about.

[​IMG]

As you may have noticed, these are empty photo's. I'll take pics tomorrow and post the running shots with the lights. Couldn't wait 'cause I'm so chuffed that it's finally running:thumbup:

Oh yeah, this is the housing for the lights etc......unstained in the photo but looking cooler now

[​IMG]

Will be trying to bum handfuls of sand/cheato from anyone in Randburg soon......will pay with :peroni: LOL

Out:)

Last edited: 1 Apr 2008
  5. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

Hey dude. Reckon it was just a bit of a bad setup, that hit a premature old tank syndrome. It was too unstable. I think part of it was me trying to salvage something that should have been re-started. Very sad statement on my part, but hopefully others can learn from it.

6. shan

shan

your tank is looking really cool - i can see why you took your time - cant wait to see it when it is up and running and stocked - what are you planning to keep in it

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looking good, some nice equipment you have there.

8. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Lovely Tank build you have going there:thumbup: Going to turn into something real nice

9. Muz

Muz

Looks good ! You have thought of everything ! very nice

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AWESOME Naptalene! I agree with the above statements. You have thought it out VERY well. Good on you for trawling the forums and getting information first!

11. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Like I said, aiming for SPS and a few fish. Thinking about 3 Chromis (nice more open water fish) maybe 2 firefish (maybe 3) 2 clowns and some or other goby to root through the gravel. THe skimmer is seriously over-rated for the tank (planning ahead)
    so I don't think it'll be too many. Fish wise I'm trying to keep the smaller fish cause of the tank's size. I really dislike the look of large fish in small spaces. Looks kinda weird and I feel bad for the little guys.

Gotta love the dancing bananna - so here he is:slayer:

I love bugs and hermits so maybe 20 snails and 15 hermits. That'll depend on the amount of food/poo in the tank. I'll start with a few soon and then add more (the cost adds up:p)

What are you guys using to start feeding the tank?

And one other weird question that I haven't been able to find an answer to....
    Should one populate with fish fully first, then add corals? This would avoid ANY ammonia swings affecting the corals as the bacteria cycle. Or is that an academic worry that doesn't really come into it in real life?

but now.....

Tank full frontal....
    [​IMG]

Tank through from right

[​IMG]

Tank funny angle

[​IMG]

And the sump...need to tidy up the wires a bit

[​IMG]

Coolest:thumbup:

12. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

cool stuff nap
    I' love the tank and the sump is extream dude.
    What are u using for the DSB?
    Are u going to leave the LR on the dsb, or are u only using it to seed it?

13. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

The DSB is crushed coral. You know the unsorted stuff. That's also what's in the display. It ranges in size from about 1/2 mm up to 4mm, but mostly inbetween those 2.

I am planning on leaving the LR on the bed. I'm open to suggestion on that. I know alot of people say tha's bad but I read in "The Reef Aquarium Vol 3" by Sprung & Delbeek that it actually promotes a kind of pull up through the DSB. I'll find the section and give a better quote. I might put half on the bottom and half ontop of that like bridges.....sit on the fence kind of thing. Maybe build a little raiser with eggcrate?

I think I should get more LR. I was worried about not having enough space when I was buying but actually have some spare space. Hopefully I'll get some chaeto for in there too :)

14. sunburst

sunburst

I would think that corals are more sensitive to instability and ph swings. Therefore IMO fish first. However i have hard of tanks being set up in reverse.

A professional looking setup.:thumbup: Expecting some solid slow progress here.

I believe reefers fall into 2 categories...

1)The lazy reefer....lots of wire...but happy
    2)Anal reefer....no wire...and highly strung

:whistling: :)

15. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

Ignore the LR on the Sandbed statement.....I'm wrong:( Read it the wrong way round. The rocks force water into the sandbed, thus slowly compacting the gravel.....They say don't do it that way. Guess I'll be building a little riser with eggcrate.

16. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

Sunburst - That's what I'm figuring. I know it's nice to chuck corals in as you are slowly building up the stock but I think I'm gonna try hold off.

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

awsome equipment and excellent aquascaping.well done man

18. Muz

Muz

Just one thing.. with the ballasts in the box you may experience heat build up which may affect performance.. add a fan if possible !

19. naptalene

naptalene Thread Starter

Thanks Muz. Been keeping an eye on that. The right hand side has 6 60mm holes drilled into it (Right size for PC fans) that are there for ventilation and you can just see in the picture 2 slots that run the length of the box by the hinges. They're about 10mm wide each and allow the hot air to escape. It is getting slightly warm in there but not too many worries yet. Will have to wait for Summer to really see.

Has anyone put some form of ring/container around their overflow pipe to stop salt spray from the bubbles? I was wondering about some small oval with beads or something to catch them and stop the "exploding" bubbles sending the salt water up the pipes.

20. sunburst

sunburst

Sounds like a great idea. Especially in Summer when fans are blowing Katrina's. If you do decide to experiment, keep us posted.

21. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

naptalene i think your tank is going to be awsome but please one or two softies/lps just to jive it life but otherwise you have a great setup

hope all goes well

Recent Posts