The way to approach this hobby

Reaction score
I have read a lot of people's ways and their problems. My approach with my new tank is as follows. I set up the display unit, sump and all the other "goodies" to achieve the best quality water my budget and space allows me to. If I have achieve what I had in mind and have spare critical equipment like heaters, pumps ect. in place, then start to introduce what I can for my setup. Say I can't have stable temperature, then get stuff that is hard and will survive that condition or should I start with the corals and fish and then build the rest around that. In other words what is first, the chicken or the egg?

Last edited by a moderator:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No problems with a bit of variance in our marine tanks, Freek.... The water temp in my tank varies between 22 degrees to 25 degrees.....
I have just started reading the latest DiveStyle SCUBA diving magazine - something struck me.... where they talk about the reefs all along out coastline (including Mozambique) - the temperatures differ between 18 degrees minimum in winter-time, to a maximum of 28 degrees in summer time.... HUGE differences in temps....

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA freek. The right way to approach this hobby is to read up on all things regarding reefkeeping like:

Water parameters
Live rock
Substrate
Mechanical filtration
Biological filtration
Chemical filtration
Test kits
Different tanks and sump set ups
Lights
Algae and nutrient export
Refugiums
Crustations
Fish
Invertebrates
Acclimation
Cycling a tank
etc etc

And if there is something you don't understand, feel free to ask - there is no dumb question. All of the experienced reefers here had to start from scratch. We are here to help. Start by reading threads in the forums, and enjoy the hobby - it's worth it ;)