The War Machine

At least he's doing what he's supposed to. How bad is the whitespot?

Not much to compare to, but I would say it is not good.

He is also quite a strange Hippo, doesn't swim around much. Likes hiding.

Only swims hectically when food comes out.

Also doesn't like nori much.

Eats like a carnivore, is this normal?

Hi Warr - I don't think that Hippo Tangs are supposed to eat meaty foods. BUT, then, fish are strange, this specific individual might have developed a taste for the meaty foods. Which "meaty foods" are you talking about? Dried? (flakes/pellets)? Or frozen?

Also - I think that Regal tangs, hippo tangs, PB tangs seems to get white-spot often.

Perhaps you could increase your alkalinity even more - I have added a coral beauty to my tank, it got some white-spot because my bristletooth tang was chasing it around for a few days. After I increased the alkalinity, the whitespot dissappeared completely from my coral beauty.....
Once this fish stops hiding behind my rocks, and comes out more, I will post some pics..

Hi Warr - I don't think that Hippo Tangs are supposed to eat meaty foods. BUT, then, fish are strange, this specific individual might have developed a taste for the meaty foods. Which "meaty foods" are you talking about? Dried? (flakes/pellets)? Or frozen?

Also - I think that Regal tangs, hippo tangs, PB tangs seems to get white-spot often.

Perhaps you could increase your alkalinity even more - I have added a coral beauty to my tank, it got some white-spot because my bristletooth tang was chasing it around for a few days. After I increased the alkalinity, the whitespot dissappeared completely from my coral beauty.....
Once this fish stops hiding behind my rocks, and comes out more, I will post some pics..

Flakes and live food, and he ignores the nori clip. I now have my snails and sea urchin thinking life is easy, because of the big chunck of veggies on offer.

Since the damsel has gone he is not getting hassled anymore, he also eats very well. He has also learnt the cleaner shrimps do a great manicure job. he actually seeks them out.

I will try anything, how high you reckon I can let the KH go ?

I am also looking at putting an UV filter into the system, just got to work out plumbing.

I will try anything, how high you reckon I can let the KH go ?
Well they say recommended is between 9 and 12 dKH but you also have to monitor your other parameters closely like pH and Calcium as you increase, you have to keep it all in balance.

Hi Warr - I would rather say closer to a dKh of 12 - I keep mine slightly higher (at 13/14).... It also assists with coral/corralline algae growth.... Corralline algae grows like crazy in my tank.... We keep on cleaning it off the glass panels in the tank....

Hi Warr - I would rather say closer to a dKh of 12 - I keep mine slightly higher (at 13/14).... It also assists with coral/corralline algae growth.... Corralline algae grows like crazy in my tank.... We keep on cleaning it off the glass panels in the tank....
Jacques imo aiming unreasonably/unnaturally high may not always be appropriate. Stability on 8 and above would be a more reasonable goal. One that is simple to maintain. Running higher than normal dKH can cause calcium to precipitate out of solution.

good to see the tank is comming on:) i will have to pop in soon for a short visit.....u know how late your little ones stay up when i am there:) you wanna take a trip for new ls with me this weekend?

Thanks for the comment Sunburst - BTW: have you actually SEEN calcium precipitate out of the water? I must confess - I have only seen this happen once ever in 3.5 years of keeping marines.

Oh - and Warr - I actually meant that you should try and increase your dKh only TEMPORARILY to try and get rid of the whitespot....

I am quite sure that the whitespot (marine ich) is only due to SOME kind of stress that the fish is still feeling, somehow. Otherwise it would not be hiding so much, either.

I am extremely glad that it eats.

BTW - how long have the Hippo tang been in your tank for now?

Thanks for the comment Sunburst - BTW: have you actually SEEN calcium precipitate out of the water? I must confess - I have only seen this happen once ever in 3.5 years of keeping marines.

Yip, often. Snowstorm. Especially if you are running at levels of 13 - 14 calcium in solution will become unstable. I also believe that this see-saw battle with calcium and carbonates catalyzes the clumping of sand by bacteria.

After Hours Inmates

52848139e735aba8.jpg

Been away for 4 days and I am glad to see the tank's automation did it's job. Everyone happy and healthy.

Only weird thing I noticed is that my back pane (painted black) has got loads of small whitespots.

Reckon my glass tank has a weird form of Marine Ich :whistling:

Is this the start of coralline ?

Back
Top Bottom