The war begins

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by johnike, 10 Dec 2008.

1. johnike

johnike

Tiring of my ongoing battle with hair algae, last week I got 100 pink turbos, 6 emerald crabs, 50 mexican red-legged hermits, and a SEA HARE. Sorry for shouting, I'm flipping over how much algae this uggggly critter is eating. God must have made this thing on duckbill platypus day! I realize I'll have to pass this on to a fellow hairy reefer when it's done here. The emeralds are tearing up bubble algae left behind by the sea hare. My rock is back to its purple coraline and yellow and purple sponge again! The hermits are cruising everywhere, as well as the new snail popuilation. Also, after the sea hare mows down a patch, the fish go nuts following all the debris raised by it. I will win this phosphate fueled battle! BTW- Did 'ya hear about Illinois' governor going down today? I think this state holds the record for most jailed state governors! Ah, politicos. John

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hehe john sounds like you are bringing in the big guns. a little tired of algae are you??? :) sorry to smile i know algae can be areal pain in the butt. i have a golloath hermit crab that just loves the stuff, he used to walk along detaching it from the rock, getting it down in size before my lawn mower blennie or regal tang took a nip:)

careful careful of that sea hare, but you've heard that all b4 havent you:)

glad to hear things are comming down, politicos included:)

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sounds like you got the army in for this one John!!! do you use any other form of P04 remover?

5. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

I'm going to set up a phosban reactor and get on a better water change regiment.

6. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

John, why not look at building yourself a diy algae screen like santamonica advocated on this forum? Seems to work great!:thumbup: Run this in conjunction with your PO4 reactor and waterchanges, will work great!

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Good idea, do you know what your P04 levels are currently? and water change 10% per week will keep you good.

8. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

I'll check levels tonight when I get home. The algae scrubber looks like a fine idea, but not enough room in the 55 gal sump/fuge. Already chaeto tumbling around in there. I think getting back on my weekly wc's will solve my problem. PS SEND HEAT!-15C this morning. Hey! I spoke metric again!

9. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

I'll be glad to send some heat, my fan on the sump seized yesterday and water temp was 32 degrees when I got home with 43 degrees celcius outside, just hope I didn't lose anything!:( Would you have space to plumb a remote algae screen?

10. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

you're about 12 degrees colder than me:( and regular water changes will help as long as you can defrost the R/O:lol:

11. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

Mtroboer, ever try the old hillbilly chiller? Fill up a couple of 2 litre bottles with water, freeze 'em, and drop in your sump. Works great in a pinch. Keep spares in the freezer. Been following the scrubber thread, and may give it a go. Mike, the RO system should be here any day now. Been using my well water for years filtered through a 10" sediment, and a 10" carbon filter. I'm sure some of my phosphate trouble is because of this, living out in the middle of farm country. Lots of nitrate and phosphate been put in the ground over the years for fertilizer.

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

And a damn site worse as well, not good mate, but as soon as your R/O is installed you should see a difference.

13. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

With a few weeks of regular water changes, and the sea hare and crab/snail army, my hair algae is almost completely gone. Phosphate is almost undetectable. Life is good. Here's the sea hare..[​IMG]

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AWESOME to hear John! GEEZ! That's a MONSTER of a sea hare!

15. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

Yes, wasn't expecting such a big 'ol blob of a sea hare. Almost done in my tank, going to let him make the rounds in fellow reefers' tanks.

16. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Good to see you winning the battle my friend. I had the same porblem which lasted about 10 months, but eventually won it.

17. jacquesb

John - exactly WHAT nuisance algae is it that you have/had? GHA? Bryopsis? Caulerpa?

18. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

GHA and Bryopsis. Almost gone now! Caulerpa and Chaeto are kept in the refugium under a power compact flourescent 5100K.

19. jacquesb

Good show! So, the sea hare actually ATE bryopsis? Amazing! The one I had (sea hare) unfortunately DID NOT - it only ate the soft / short GHA....

20. johnike

johnike Thread Starter

No, this thing will plow through the thick , long stuff and suck it up like a vacuum. Had to reset a couple of corals after he knocked 'em over. Crimey it's cold today!!!! Think I'll stay my arse inside today. Glad I got all the essentials, Beer, dog food, and a fridge full of food! Great day inside, John

Recent Posts