The vortech clan

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
seeing as Tunze has a clan i decided vortech should participate:whistling:

Excellent pump, excellent features, very nice neat/compact and mounting this puppy is a dream.. downside to this as with all things of quality is expense..

feel free to post experiences that you have had with this pump..:yeahdude:

leslie, I have been wondering, does the Vortech do nice waves and how gentle is the flow in your tank.

As I have never used it or seen it in action, I cannot comment.

Jason

they are really dynamic pumps in that they have various flow patterns.. one if the nice things are that they can create a wave motion simular to the tunze by minipulating the flow controller... simply push the set button after the sequence has been plotted and bobs your uncle... will try find more info and post the link here.. perhaps it will be helpful to others considering a vortech..

1,000 to 3,200 gallons per hour. Not sure which tunze it competes with though.

what is the flow rating on the vortech?which Tunze pump will it compete with?
i think it competes with the 6101 / 6105

[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT][FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Bracketless, discreet design[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Motor sits outside the tank which means little heat transfer[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Adjustable from 800 to 12,000l/h[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Extremely wide flow pattern[/FONT]

[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]One of the most energy efficient pumps on the market using only 6-30W of power[/FONT]

[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT][FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT][FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Completely controllalbe for different wave and pulsing modes[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]New controllable drivers communicate wirelessly with up to 9 other drivers/pumps[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Run-Safe design shuts the motor down in case of overheating[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Pumps can be easily repositioned[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT]Can be used with glass up to 19mm thick[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=RZRACL+ArialMT][/FONT][/FONT]​
[/FONT]​

Jacq im not saying that is not true but I noticed that with the better pumps eg Tunze and Vortech they do what they say like a Resun will say 24watts but run at higher where a Vortech will say 6-30watts and run 6-30watts maybe lower. Same as flow if a Tunze says 5500l/h it pumps 5500l/h not 4500l/h like some cheaper brands do.

Just a thought, Jason

Could anyone test this for use?

Both of my Resun controllers have packed up. The pumps seem OK, but the controllers seem to be crap.

I popped out this weekend and bought two Seio M2600 pumps, rated at 10,000 l/hr. They seem to move more water than the Resuns, which claim 15,000 l/hr. But this is all anecdotal. I've not measured anything properly.

Q

jaques you have a valid point but i think vortech and resun are worlds apart in technology and quality, i too have had a problem with the controller on the resun but i must say i got it replaced and all was fine.. as for the vortech it offers more versitility as it can be used in both big and small tanks and the wireless master and slave communication between pumps is an excellent feature... also as mentioned the fact that the wave sequences are personally programmable is a major plus.. imagine a tank with 4 of these puppies in.. all running to your thought out wave sequence comunicating wirelessly on a certain wave pattern, then reversing the wave pattern at random depending on the setting you programmed in a sequence of settings.. surely we are closer to simulating natures random flow principles than ever before

You 100% correct Leslie - in the end it's a case of "you get what you pay for", hey? LOL! Don't get me wrong - I would not MIND a Vortech - I am just a little bit too stingy to splash out on it ;)

One thing to bear in mind is that, because they achieve harmonic (wave) motion, the Vortech's effectively move a lot more water than they are rated at. The Resun controller is not capable of that, as it's not possible to set the switch period low enough (I would need about 1.5 s), nor to reverse the motor. I'm sure some smart electronics boffins could build one that could, but I'm not a smart boffin. I'm starting to wonder whether the Vortech's don't actually represent a cheap option - and believe me, I'm firmly in the Redneck camp - I hate paying inflated prices, but there may be a good point to be made here.

Take my 1000 litre tank. I'd like 80-100 x water turnover - that's a whole lot of (non-harmonic) pumps. Here's what the Resun's give you:

Wave information
Small: Power 6.5W / Qmax. 2000 l/h 530 gph / Adjustable Duration 10-20s
Medium: Power 12.5W / Qmax. 8000 l/h 2116 gph / Adjustable Duration 5-15s
Large: Power 25W / Qmax. 15000 l/h 3968 gph / Adjustable Duration 2-10s

So that means that at maximum setting (min small, min medium, max large) you effectively get 8400 l/hr. And that's if you believe the ratings. So I'll need about 10 Resun's to get an 80x turnover, costing about R6,000, at least.

Otherwise I can buy 2 x Vortech's, for R8,000. I've never used a Vortech, but looking at the video's on youtube, and using a bit of wave theory, it seems quite possible that the 2x Vortechs will give a much better effective flow than the 10 x Resuns. And the Resun controllers will definitely pack up regularly (my personal experience, and reading on Reef Central), so those would need to be replaced with something more reliable, at some expense and hassle.

I think I'm gonna splash out on a pair of Vortech's.

Q

You 100% correct Leslie - in the end it's a case of "you get what you pay for", hey? LOL! Don't get me wrong - I would not MIND a Vortech - I am just a little bit too stingy to splash out on it ;)

ha ha.. me to buddy if i hadnt bought my one when i had i wouldent be able to get it.. the problem is i want another one to match up with the one i have... the problem is that they are going to be over R4K when the come in again..

One thing to bear in mind is that, because they achieve harmonic (wave) motion, the Vortech's effectively move a lot more water than they are rated at. The Resun controller is not capable of that, as it's not possible to set the switch period low enough (I would need about 1.5 s), nor to reverse the motor. I'm sure some smart electronics boffins could build one that could, but I'm not a smart boffin. I'm starting to wonder whether the Vortech's don't actually represent a cheap option - and believe me, I'm firmly in the Redneck camp - I hate paying inflated prices, but there may be a good point to be made here.

Take my 1000 litre tank. I'd like 80-100 x water turnover - that's a whole lot of (non-harmonic) pumps. Here's what the Resun's give you:

Wave information

Small: Power 6.5W / Qmax. 2000 l/h 530 gph / Adjustable Duration 10-20s

Medium: Power 12.5W / Qmax. 8000 l/h 2116 gph / Adjustable Duration 5-15s

Large: Power 25W / Qmax. 15000 l/h 3968 gph / Adjustable Duration 2-10s

So that means that at maximum setting (min small, min medium, max large) you effectively get 8400 l/hr. And that's if you believe the ratings. So I'll need about 10 Resun's to get an 80x turnover, costing about R6,000, at least.

Otherwise I can buy 2 x Vortech's, for R8,000. I've never used a Vortech, but looking at the video's on youtube, and using a bit of wave theory, it seems quite possible that the 2x Vortechs will give a much better effective flow than the 10 x Resuns. And the Resun controllers will definitely pack up regularly (my personal experience, and reading on Reef Central), so those would need to be replaced with something more reliable, at some expense and hassle.

I think I'm gonna splash out on a pair of Vortech's.

Q

not a bad thing to do, wanna buy me one? Pleeeeeaaaaazzzzzz????:lol:

Back
Top Bottom