The Vleis Nano (Sold)

Vleis Visagie

Be good or be good at it
Reaction score
Howzit guys.

Been on the forum for about 1 month now, taking in all the info popping up here. I am new to the whole hobby & now I'm trying it out with a marine tank:y13:

Lets start.

I bought a +-100L tank from @BAD FISH whilst making a deal on a Auquabeaty 35w LED light. Appreciate the good deal bud:cheers2:

Its got a built in sump with a skimmer (not the best) & a return pump (not the best), but i will upgrade as time goes by.

Also go a REALLY good deal on dry rock from @Esmond. 17kg of rock for R100. You are a legend bud. I probably wont be using all the rock. Most a flat pieces, but ill start scaping & see what i come up with.

Only thing i need now is substrate (will be going FIJI PINK) & some salt water to start the cycling.

Now all the questions will start, i know the size of my tank & will start doing more in-depth research about what live stock works with this tank.

THIS IS GONNA BE A AWESOME EXPERIENCE.:slayer:

CHECK:

100l Nano with Built in Sump
17kg Dry rock

NEEDED:

Fiji Pink Substrate
Saltwater
Refractometer
Testing Kits
Temp Gauge

I appreciate the help in advance.

Few PICS

Tank front.jpg

Tank Sump.jpg

Not ALL the rick will be used.
Tank Purple.JPG

Tank Rock.JPG

Thanks Guys

Vleis out:biggrin:

setup looks good so far.

I've seen somewhere black eggcrate (and do not ask me where, I cannot remember). Would be great if you can replace the white piece with black.

The guy that I bought the dry rock from said I should boil it.

Basicly I want to clean in properly, someone else said I should NUKE it with pool acid. Any advice

Thanks
Yes @Goby used pool acid and it was scary to see all the junk coming out, and it makes the rock more porous. Goby also have a Refractometer for sale. I got some substrate that is mixed out of various types you are welcome to come and have a look. I will also suggest drilling the tank and run a sump with a ATU, got plenty of old reef equipment lying around you should pop in some time maybe there is something that I can help you with.

Yes @Goby used pool acid and it was scary to see all the junk coming out, and it makes the rock more porous. Goby also have a Refractometer for sale. I got some substrate that is mixed out of various types you are welcome to come and have a look. I will also suggest drilling the tank and run a sump with a ATU, got plenty of old reef equipment lying around you should pop in some time maybe there is something that I can help you with.

Hey bud,

Had a thought about that substrate you sent me, its a bit to coarse for the look i want. Sorry.

Yeah i definitely need to meet up with you and see what you got going on at your place:cheers2:.

I just want to get the tank cycling now. After you "nuked" it, do you just rinse it off or does it need flow over it for a few days to get all the acid out?

I just want to get the tank cycling now. After you "nuked" it, do you just rinse it off or does it need flow over it for a few days to get all the acid out?
Rinse with RO water and place it in some RO and prime for a few days. Think you must come and look at the substrate as the photos I send you was taken very close so it appears much larger. Im using it and my sand sifting goby got no issues, but its up to you.

Nice tank, hope you have fun setting it up! :)
FYI, when we say "cook" live rock, it is not the literal meaning of taking the rock and putting it in a pot of boiling water. It is a process of cycling it in a dark tank to rid it of excess gunk ;)

Nice tank, hope you have fun setting it up! :)
FYI, when we say "cook" live rock, it is not the literal meaning of taking the rock and putting it in a pot of boiling water. It is a process of cycling it in a dark tank to rid it of excess gunk ;)

SNAP:y13::y13:

Almost put it in a pot. hahahhaha fail.

EDIT*

Its dry/dead rock at the moment, there a diff for cleaning it?

Last edited:
lol! Don't worry, almost made the same mistake when I first started off. I have even seen a thread where someone almost died from literally cooking the rock:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253493

You can use the same process of dark cycling the rock to rid it of the extra nutrients in the rock but in all honesty, I would rinse it off properly in RO and then cycle in the tank. You will still get the algae bloom etc but the process on how you manage water quality during that time will determine how long that phase will last.

Enjoy!

Reactions: EFJ
Hello Hello

Got myself some CaribSea Arag-alive Reef sand (Bahamas Oolite). Only got 9kg & it seems like it might be to little. Might have to buy more.

Gonna start some aquascaping the weekend. I have a lot of flat rock, so will try cut & break into more useable pieces.

Really Really exited now. Sho

Last edited:
Hay Bud

Looks like a Nice System you have there! Will be following this thread!

Just Shout if you need anything. There's quite a few Vaalies around with Marine Systems!

Congrats man. Was thinking of purchasing this tank for a extra quarantine tank but then had a massive tank wipe out so now planning on doing things a bit different. This is a very good tank to start off with and get deeper into the addiction :thumbup:. I have found a lot of guys drying, cooking, nuking, acid rinse, vinegar bath etc. at the end (amazingly) things still survive in the liverock. You get some tough little buggers in there. I would just rinse it off in RO water for now and start cycling. If there is anything you are bound to pick it up during that time.

If I understand you correctly, no you can't over cycle a tank if you are referring to time. The longer you leave your tank running without buying livestock the more time it gets to build up copepods and other little critters. Algae etc. is a part of cycling and algae usually forms because of high phosphates in the tank. Your main goal is at the end to get everything down to 0 or as close to 0 (nitrates and phosphates the main ones).

Back
Top Bottom