The Vertex Skimmer Clan

I recently got a vertex omega 130 for my Red Sea Reefer 170 and from day 1 I couldn't get the skimmer to work properly and stop overflowing. I realized that the skimmer needed time to break in and so after I had given it a good rinse out, I left It running for over a week, but even after a week it still overflowed. I then tried a vinegar bath, restricting air, an extremely thorough clean and even raising the skimmer from its original depth of 8 inches. Bear in mind that the gate valve has been fully open the whole time. Still no success. All of this time I had been running lots of carbon in my tank because I know how some chemicals can make a skimmer behave. Anyway, I emailed vertex to explain my situation and a week later and still no reply...I have now given up on vertex and will be getting a reef octopus instead, a brand I have used before and was very happy with.

U need to also adjust the skimmer at the pump intake..you can turn that grey part that screws into pump..sound like ur one is screwed in completely

4age, I must have tried every possible position the pump intake knob has. Leslie, Unfortunately of fortunatley I returned the skimmer and got a reef octopus sss 110 which is working like a charm. I have also posted about this on Reef Central and many people have similar issues with this skimmer...

Hey Guys,

I thought what better place to ask some help than here.
we have a Vertex Alpha 300 skimmer. We had a few power dips over the last 2 days, and the pump died. Any recommendation on where to go looking for a replacement pump. Should I upgrade it of look for a DC?
I have no clue where to look so any help would be very much appreciated.

I saw on another thread someone sayying that Aquarium Depot is now the agents for Vertex....

But be prepared to pay an arm and both your legs for one of those pumps...

If it were me, i wouldnt put any other pump on that skimmer else it wont be a proper alpha anymore...lol
thats just me...lol

Thanks Ridwaan. They seem to rather difficult to get a hold of. Let me see what i can do over at aquarium depot. But I think I only saw red devil pumps there and not the red dragons. Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom