The ultimate cleaner shrimp!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 10 Jul 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

The leadrites cytorhynchus is the only true cleaner shrimp.
    I don't know if these are over your way.
    Until the other night when one or two of our club members were raving on about these, now that a couple of them were shown where to get them, I never really said much on them except to other club members.
    One of the guys has had some now for some months and he can’t believe how amazing they are, as he says.
    They are the only cleaner that will pop the white spot blisters, no other cleaner fish or shrimp will do that, due to these being quite toxic.
    Most people think cleaner s help with white spot, they don’t, they just handle other parasites and clean up they dead skin around where the blister was.
    I first started using these as cleaners by accidentally finding they did this when I caught some from Kirra reef back in 81, when there was a Kirra reef!
    I have never seen them for sale, not that it doesn’t mean they aren’t, just if you ever see any, get some, the fish wont hurt them generally and they will properly clean your fish of everything, more or less.
    Just be warry, both lysmata shrimp, the pep and red line species will try to kill them.

In tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are in this thread as well.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1219-shrimpcrustaceans-and-pods

dallasg likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks for the read, will see if i can get them here

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Very interesting...thanks...:thumbup:

5. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

Those shrimp must look awesome at night! Imagine under a UV light :)

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Are these not similar to as what we find on our East Coast .... Glass shrimps ...

7. wvdheever

wvdheever

Would love a pair

8. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

No they are nothing like a glass shrimp in action and life style.
    Glass shrimp are opportunistic feeders, these shrimp actually clean fish, near nothing else what so ever!
    Lysmata shrimp will clean to stay alive by not encouraging predation with that action and will eat anything they can get, including shedding shrimp and small fish.
    The red line lysmata shrimp usually lives in conjunction with eels as we nearly always found them when I worked commercially, so we called them eel cleaner shrimp for that reason
    Our three shrimp species that you could call glass shrimp are all more so carnivores, though they will eat near anything to survive.
    The glass shrimp feed primarily on the cyano that forms on the mud and benthic life.
    That’s why they are temperature sensitive in relation to breeding, they are in there billions from 22c up due to immense life on and in the surface of the mud and below 18c there are near none to catch.
    Our local lysmata peps are a little more hardy as they are more so a carnivore and will feed and near anything at all, even each other and they are there in greater numbers even when it is cold water then the glass shrimps.

Recent Posts