The Tunze Pump Thread

Reaction score
Who has a Tunze Stream or Nano Stream. What do you think of it ? Good point's or bad points.

I have the Nano Streams (6025 + 6045), I think they are great little powerheads as long as you do not turn them off. When starting they do rattle quite a bit.
The Design is great and the magnet clip is a brilliant idea BUT the clip to hold the pump in is the biggest load of ....
I have had 2 break on me and the clips that connect them into the magnet are flimsy. When you are paying R1131 for the 6045 and R723 for the 6025 you expect slightly better quality.

I don't think I could justify the R2375 for the Stream 6055 and another R2200 for the controller.

I have and have had, 6 tunzes 2 x 6080's and 4 x 6060's all on magnetic clamps no problem with any of them, as long as you remember to strip them down once every 3-4 months to give them a clean up remove outer case and impellor and soak in white vinegar (easily to do) then they will last for years without problem - well worth the money.

The tunze nanos' being brand new (on the UK market did have teething troubles but they seem to have sorted them out.

I have been running various Tunze pumps for years. I have one of the original 4002 pumps with the wave maker running 15 years now no problem. Its like any piece of equipment - service it regularly and it should last a lifetime. When it comes to wave/pulsing pumps there is nothing on the market that even comes close to the performace and features of the Tunze streams. This is especially important to those keeping SPS corals. One also needs to take into account the power consumption of pumps. Tunze pumps usually use less current than similar sized pumps from other manufacurers.

I have been running various Tunze pumps for years. I have one of the original 4002 pumps with the wave maker running 15 years now no problem. Its like any piece of equipment - service it regularly and it should last a lifetime. When it comes to wave/pulsing pumps there is nothing on the market that even comes close to the performace and features of the Tunze streams. This is especially important to those keeping SPS corals. One also needs to take into account the power consumption of pumps. Tunze pumps usually use less current than similar sized pumps from other manufacurers.

If they use less power can we assume that they generate less heat.?

Don't know hey. As with anything mechanical components are only a certain percentage efficient. Heat is pretty much the only way that efficiency is lost. Your pumps don't glow so it's not given off as light. They shouldn't be causing any chemical reactions etc so I don't see anywhere else for the energy to go really. Now pump manufacture's don't really quote like a percentage of efficiency but it's safe to assume a powerhead claiming say "5000lph" on 20W is more efficient than a pump producing say 5000lph on 30W. I'd say that would be similar to adding the first pump and a 10W heater...

Hmm agree but the tunze is 12volts.
I have 12 volt 50watt downlights at home. And i would swear that they burn as hot as a 220volt 60watt tungsten bulb

This loss of heat as a relationship to efficiency is perfectly demonstrated with the newer technology crd diesel motors; which run on the smell of an oil rag and yet are able to generate ridiculous amounts of torque. eg Mitsubishi 280tdi 98kw VW Toureg 3.0crd 165kw

Less power consumption on a pump does equal less heat. Something that is often overlooked when buying pumps for your system.

I love Tunze. I've been running 2 6000's for the last 3 and a half years and 2 6100's for the last year and a half and never had one days problem with them. Hell I've never even had to clean them..
They move water like nobody's bussiness and are dead quiet.

BUT, the Nano Streams are Maggots. Been running the small one (Can't remember the model number now) for about 8 months. The plastic clips on the U bracket have all broken. It's sheared one impellor already. It sometimes fails to start after being switched off, neccesitating having to dig your fingers into pump housing to try and swing the impellor, ala WW11 Biplane and is noisy on start up.
Pity, cause I really like the small compact design, and Tunze pumps are generally top class.

DR are you running any of them on controllers? I plan on 2 6101's in the new year and your views are making me a bit mmore confident spending the cash.. it's a shit load to spend but if it's once off then it's worth it I think...

DR are you running any of them on controllers? I plan on 2 6101's in the new year and your views are making me a bit mmore confident spending the cash.. it's a shit load to spend but if it's once off then it's worth it I think...

Yip, the 6000's and 6100's run on a Multicontroller. Best money I've spent on my tank. The options are endless. Another reason why I love them. Those pumps having been running stop - start cycles every 30 seconds, surging between 30% and 100% power all day every day and just keep pumping :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Try shorting a wire on one of those 7.2V hobby batteries, will burn nice and hot. I'm pretty sure a 50W will feel just about as hot as a 60W bulb... Rather compare a +-18W "energy saver" and a 100W incandescent bulb both at 220V and should supply about the same amount of light.

PS: Torque isn't measured in kW ;)

Less power consumption on a pump does equal less heat. Something that is often overlooked when buying pumps for your system.

At a quick glance yes. But what if that heat were more efficiently transferred into energy. Therefore less heat.

Any way, in the case of Tunze i know this to be true. What irks me is that Tunze don't manipulate this fact to truly show their pedigree.

Anthony I don't see the 6000's and 6100's on Tunze site and it say's the multi controller only works with the 6101, 6201 and 6301...... have you seen the 6301 - I would like to run 8 on a controller and stick them in the pool and then I can really swim with my fish :lol:

I also run the 6100 on a multi controller and agree that this has been money well spent.

Anthony I don't see the 6000's and 6100's on Tunze site and it say's the multi controller only works with the 6101, 6201 and 6301...... have you seen the 6301 - I would like to run 8 on a controller and stick them in the pool and then I can really swim with my fish :lol:

Sims haven't been on the site for a while so I'm not sure if they have changed the model names. Used to be 6000, 6100 ect. Could have changed to 6101, 6201.

Yeah those 6301 are wicked. They were designed for public aquarium use :yeahdude: :yeahdude:

Hi leigh do you now that aquamedic has got pumps that is about the size of 6100 tunze that willbe pushing about 30000lts will be fully contro by wave master, i think some time in 2008 that will be impressive:slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Back
Top Bottom