"The stupid things we do" competition!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 7 Oct 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey guys. I know there was a similar thread like this a while back, but I thought a refresher would be good.;)

All of us, whether we are experience or not, do stupid things in this hobby - I mean off the chart stupid!!! This thread will be a convession booth for these idiotic things we did.

I would like a form of a poll on this after a week, where we could maybe vote for the dumbest thing some-one did. The winner will win a 2010 MASA calender (which I will sponsor:biggrin:)

Only one entry per member, so please do not list all the stuff, only the worst thing. Also, please people do not trash each other for their mistakes!!!:nono: We are all guilty!!!:p Just read what others have done, laugh about it and move on...

PS: I will go first, and this was on request from Frans - so Frans, this one is for you!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Hmmm....

Left my return pump off after feeding the fish. Lucky to get home and find my temp at 27 and everything doing well :)

Door to my hood is a flap door from the from that when closed goes over the glass. Oneday i bumped the door closed and it slammed against the glass causing a big bang... thought i cracked my tank...

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

As some of you know, I am busy building me new tank, and I have been busy with it for about 5 months (have a wedding to pay for first...:p)

So, I decided a couple of weekends back that I would paint the back panel black. I went to J**** Paint, and told the lady what I wanted to do. Even though I know better (as I am quite the DIY person) she told me to first sandpaper the glass, then put primer then put the paint.

So I took P80 sandpaper and sandpapered the entire back panel!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The primer was white, so I decided to leave it out. Only painted balck - which worked, but now my panel is full is scratches that obviously sit... Will have to assess the damage once my tank is full and lights are on.

How stupid could I be?

5. Slummies

Slummies

no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaays!

6. Sentari

Sentari

Eish Jaco!

7. Kavir

Kavir

When i 1st started i new nothing about RO water So i used 1000l tap water and spent R2,50c per 500g x 40 table salt... All worked out fine after a few good days of water changes

8. moz

moz

I used to use the "finger test" to test for voltage leaks.

Here is what a friend of mine did, he is not a member of the MASA so he can't win, but I have to share it. Last hear a sub-station blew up in PE causing a large section of town to be without power for about a week, my friend lost everything except a yellow tailed damsel, after a few days the fish was looking a bit slugish, which my friend assumed was due to the water being 16deg, so he decided to heat up the fish by putting it in a pot on a gas stove (at lowest setting), he sat and carefully monitored the temp of the water, slowly heating it, until his daughter distracted him and he forgot about the fish onthe stove, needless to say when he remembered about his fish, it was cooked.

9. Slummies

Slummies

the silliest thing iv ever done.. hmm .. definitely joining the reefkeeping hobby!

10. FransSny

FransSny

This story still has me crying with laughter :mbounce:

11. JD167

JD167

OMW!!! :errrr:

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The stupidest thing I done,

I switched my return pump off. And let everything settle. Then I filled my sump to the maximum I could. To the rim... I wanted the maximum volume water in my system.
    Then switched the return back on and after a couple of minutes marked my water level. So now if power goes out, my sump will fill to the max without flooding. I am soooo clever.

Then I cleaned the circulation pumps in the tank and notice my overflow protection grid is a bit dirty and blocked. So I cleaned it.

When everything done, I just re-tested my maximum sump level. After calling my wife to show off my cleverness. Switched my return off, and my sump FLOODED.

Obvious reason is that the blocked overflow grid kept another couple of liters water in display, increasing the water level in the display tank. Now that water had only one way to go. To my floor... Should have seen my wife's sarcastic smile

13. FransSny

FransSny

OK where can I start....

Taking anything a LFS says (not specializing in marines on face value).

BUT seriously : Return without syphon break, starting the RO for top up...then going for supper at the spur, testing ballasts with power on using loose wires....creating an explosion.....on a R 20 000 persian carpet...the list can be extensive

14. Jaco Schoeman

Okey Frans, give us your ONE worst thing then...

Come on, theres a Calender on the table for this... By this time next week I will send a summary of the stories to the admins / mods then they can set up the poll for you guys to vote. The winner gets the calender!!! :thumbup:

15. dv8

dv8

as with most of the stupid things we do it normaly starts with a "briliant " idea. i had made some marks with tipex on the back of my tank so that i knew how many drums i would need to replace the water i had thrown away for a water change. how i knew where to make the marks ? i poured the water from my tank into a drum , then made a mark, then another drum and another mark, etc. here comes the problem, i syfen out to the fourth mark so obveously the four drums of water i got from the sea would be enough....... not!! turns out when i made the marks i was using bigger drums!!! i'm sure you can figure out the rest

16. magman

magman

I pretty much built my old 4 foot tank as a newb, then all my mistakes etc I improved on for the 6 foot tank. I redesigned the stand, hood overflow etc. There was not one mistake and it was flawless!!!!!!! You open the front half of the hood along the whole tank to rock scape or maintanence, and even a little feeding hatch for food. Flawless. Moved the fish and rocks over, started feeding for 3 days, but something was not right. Turned out the feeding hatch was directly over the centre brace and took me 3 days of starving the fish to realise.

17. Sentari

Sentari

Bwhahahah nice one magman!

18. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

That's so funny...Brings back memories cause the same thing happened to me...

19. Jaco Schoeman

HAHAHAHA - MAGMAN, my favorite one so far... :lol::lol::lol:

20. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

left my MH haning over the side of the tank while i paint the inside so i desided it's to dark and switch it on 10min later the 20mm glass pannel crack in half.

21. danimal

danimal

definitely my favourite too magman!

Recent Posts