The second collecting trip for marines for the show

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 24 Sep 2009.

1. pkc

pkc

This is the second collecting trip for aandtsociety show stock.
    Just another trip to get some nice fish and inverts for the beenliegh show tanks on one of the calmest days imaginable and in the strongest current.
    The current this day was extrmemly dangerous and had to be handled with a lot of care or end up in New zealand and there are no jesus lines that long!
    This is how calm it was.
    [​IMG]
    A nice little halichoeres chrysus.
    [​IMG]
    A shy little dark cardinal.
    [​IMG]
    we don't normally bother with moorish idles,but this one will be handy for the show and while Mark looked after it he has gotten attached to it.
    This one was gotten from a discusting area and there are no corals or much of anything else there really,they are tougher that way and this one eats out of his hand in just few days in the tank.
    [​IMG]
    This is the avergae colour of the melanopus clowns around here,its a nice nature so far,not normal for these fish,lives well with the latz, akyndinos and skunk.
    [​IMG]
    These wil look great in the tanks.Now mark wants more,the colours will be mixed up in the next ones.
    [​IMG]
    There were lots of blue tangs and a couple of latz,but we have some so we didn't bother.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Awesome finds...

4. Annoying

Annoying

Looks awesome (this thread is hard to read because I LIVE 600km away from the beach:banghead:)

5. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

This was the third trip.
    Didn't even bother doing some spearing while free diving on this trip,the crays that were seen were left for Dave to get.

As you can see by the first pic the queenlsand coast is quite ugly,not likely,but some really nice birds on the beaches to check out-lol!!
    [​IMG]
    One of the constantly prettiest localy caught damsels,the fiji or (chrisiptera taupou)no matter how old they are in your tank,shame they are so very mean normally,this one isn't,its a little weird.
    [​IMG]
    Just thought it would be nice to get a couple of cleaner shrimp (lysmata amboinensis) for the tank at the show,no one even noticed the big female in the tank??why bother!There is this one ledge in 35 to 40 feet deep and behind the bubble anemones and sea urchins there is nearly always four or more there,why i have no idea?I don't like to keep them as all in the tank want to eat them normally.
    [​IMG]
    Just one of the many sea stars(blue linkia) we got for the show to have in a tank with some of the stars of the nemo movie we caught.Danny has had one from tiny for two years now and it is 11 inches across now.
    [​IMG]
    A couple of these roughies or (trachichthys australis) were caught for mark as he lost his ones he bought off one of the commercial collectors to desease,we used them in the show and heaps of people liked the ugly liitle beggers.
    They are indemic to our waters here,normally in very deep water to a 1000 feet down and we see heaps of them at one shallow spot that you can snorkel to and as per usual it remains a secret,but normally we wouldn't catch any as they are bit on the ugly side of things to bother with,easy to catch though,you just grab them by hand.
    Just like a pinneapple fish,no need for a net,oh they grunt very loud just like a pinneapple fish as well.
    They go into marks tank after the show.He likes them????
    I have kept then before,they can be a bit fussy to start with eating,no big deal.
    [​IMG]

That was about it for the time being,i don't have the time so much anymore to transfer the trips over from our site and no one else wants to do it,so its goodby for now and if the family probs go well,than i may be back to copy the trips over again.

6. Tony

Tony

Nice finds. thanks for sharing

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

awsome specimins there just a Q why to you handle the fish with your hands? the acid from your skin can be quite agressive..

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Lekker catches there bud!

9. magman

magman

We going to Perth in April, I can't wait.

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

(true) after nearly thirty years i would not know to wash my hand and sit my hand in the water for a while to stabilise temp and acidity and have the fish or invert in the water above mine or who evers turn it is to hold the catch in hand and lift,take pic and back into the water.

plus the fish we catch that mostly are doing so well in members tanks have suffered so much from our lack of experience,or have they.

just because the trips only started being put on the net a yearish ago obviously means we have no idea about those things,the club has been into marines and collecting trips since the 1920s,some of us have been keeping and breeding a few vaiaties for 40 plus years.

alot of stuff on the net is uninformed rubbish,we know we don't fall into that category,some others do not realise that.

11. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Thats the end the trips for now copied off our site,maybe again in the future???

12. magman

magman

Your posts are what I view again and again, over and over again. Those of us that dive and collect get 10x more satisfaction from one ugly little fish that we may catch than from what we do buying from at a LFS. I am really jealous of the specimans you guys get there, please keep the pics coming. We are going to Perth in April, and your posts have made me look forward to it that much more............

You guys don't have any rugby players, but you sure do have nice reef specimans, how about a trade..........:1:

13. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

thats awesome! you guys are so lucky:)

14. Jaak

Jaak

Very cool.

15. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Nice catch

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Wow... really fires up the imagination reading your posts. I'm certainly gonna miss them:(

17. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

contact us if you like there are some cool spots close to perth and just an hour two north as well,two of us used to live over that way and dive and snorkel the areas as well.

18. magman

magman

thanks, it will be a dream to have a clown that I caught myself. Is there many regulations of taking fish out the country? I don't feel like putting a regal in a condom and swallowing it!!!!!! Generally though can I catch for myself where I want?

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

just a question no reason to get so moody about it.. question answered thanks for the sarcasm:whistling:

20. Boendoe

Boendoe

"
    Aaa those Aussies, wonder if it had anything to do with the tri-nations:p

21. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

lol!! Boendoe:lol:

Recent Posts