The Science of Protein Skimmers by Scott Brang

thanks for the info man:thumbup:

Hey Mek, thanks for the info... Just a question:

I am going to run a TS1 skimmer. I read that you must wipe the cleaning cup with a soft cloth. Is this how you clean the cleaning cup? Must you rinse it out with water, and if so, is normal hot tapwater fine, or will this cause issues later on?

Good one you cant learn enough.

Hey Mek, thanks for the info... Just a question:

I am going to run a TS1 skimmer. I read that you must wipe the cleaning cup with a soft cloth. Is this how you clean the cleaning cup? Must you rinse it out with water, and if so, is normal hot tapwater fine, or will this cause issues later on?

Hi Jaco.
When cleaning any of my skimmer cups, I rinse it out in plain cold tap water. I dont ever use a cloth, I just wash my hands thoroughly before cleaning the neck, so that whatever oils are present on my hands, doesnt get into the skimmer neck and effect the skimmer performance once restarted. :)

Hey Mek, the article is very informative.
Can you aloborate on:
1. the best place to to supply the skimmer from i.e the source in the sytem for the skimmer water
2.the best place to exit the clean skimmer water
3. the desired flow rate through the skimmer
4. is there any truth in the rumour that if you extend the air supply pipe to much higher than the skimmer it causes the air entering the pipe to flow faster thus creating more bubbles?

Hey Mek, the article is very informative.
Can you aloborate on:
1. the best place to to supply the skimmer from i.e the source in the sytem for the skimmer water
2.the best place to exit the clean skimmer water
3. the desired flow rate through the skimmer
4. is there any truth in the rumour that if you extend the air supply pipe to much higher than the skimmer it causes the air entering the pipe to flow faster thus creating more bubbles?
Hi Schyffs
1. Always in the first chamber of your sump.
2. You can let the water exit in your second chamber if there is no DSB. If there is a DSB and water flowing to fast over it, it will mess the DSB up. Otherwise, let the water exit in the same chamber (your first chamber).
3. 800-1200lph max. You want a slow water flow through the skimmer, this allows more air and water contact time.
4. Never heard of it before (maybe someone else can comment). I would think, if you make the air inlet slightly wider, it allow more air to be sucked in.

But why?? what the difference?? how big a difference would it make??

Water feed to the skimmer:
The first chamber has the most muck in it, thus you want the muck to get into the skimmer before it settles anywhere else. Your skimmer needs the mucky water to work effectively, the secretions from your inhabitants should be skimmed out before it settles and breaksdown i.e decompose. Also you dont want to feed from a point after your dsb/refugium because the dsb provides beneficial organisms to your tank that aids both fish coral diet, skimming all that goodness out of the water would be counter productive. Again this is best practice to ensure maximum benefit from your skimmer.
Water exiting the skimmer
My understanding is that the water coming out of the skimmer has a high count of fine bubbles in it, exiting in the last chamber(return chamber) will add fine bubbles to the return flow creating an unsightly look in your tank with fine bubbles floating in your display.
Can any other experienced reefer please comment?

Personally I would let it flow over the DSB as it will feed the inhabitants with a little extra fresh and clean highly oxygenated water, you dont only want the usual "dirty" water to flow over the dsb. As long as the flow from the skimmer does not disturb the sand bed in the dsb then in my opinion it should be acceptable.
Thus its not detrimental if it doesnt drain into the first chamber....but is best practice only. I hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom