The right anem

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Lowflyer, 4 Jun 2009.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hi Brenda

First of all I just want to thank you for taking time out of your day to help us here on MASA, we and I really appreciate it.

My question. I have just purchased a pair of Black Sebae clowns and have a 3 foot display tank that is only 35cm deep. I have 2 t5 white 39watt tubes and 2 t8 blue marine 20watt tubes (which will be replaced with t5 actinic and marine blue soon). My system is about 150 litres in total and I do a 33% water change once a week. I have a DSB in sump, weipro protein skimmer and my flow inside display is turning over 63 times an hour, and I have about 16-20 kg's LR/biorock mix. My clowns seem to bothering my new frogspawn which is quite small and don't want them to bother it to death. What anemone can you suggest for this system?

Here is a FTS of my system.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again.
    Luke:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

This tank looks pretty new. When did you set it up?

How many liters is the main display?

Does the T-5 bulbs have individual reflectors?

What other fish do you currently have or plan to keep?

Why are you doing such a large water change weekly?

What does your CUC consist of?

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

Very nice setup, how about some close up pic's.

5. Furbz

Furbz

if i'm not mistaken. those are saddleback clownfish
    [​IMG]

6. Prodigy

Prodigy

Check his thread.
    Meduim tanks lukes set up there some close up pics...;)

7. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

8. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Hey Brenda, thanks for replying so quickly.
    To answer your questions:

1. Tank has been up since january.
    2. Main display is about 90 litres, about 25 gallons
    3. Have no reflectors as of yet, going to add them when add other t5's
    4. I only have the two clowns and I plan on keeping a reefsafe wrasse, maybe bipartis, some anthias, a bicolour blennie, and maybe a dwarf angel of some sort (but not probable).
    5. The big water changes have been due to hair algae issues, but that is subsiding now, should I go back to 20% or 15%?
    6. CUC is a couple of snails and about 5 hermits and a cleaner shrimp (thanks Dave)

Hope that helps, I know my system is still young, should a wait quite a while before getting a nemmie?

Last edited: 5 Jun 2009
  9. Achilles

Achilles

if i was you only 2 species of anemone id suggest bubble tip anemone enactmea quadricolor and heteractis crispa , the sebae anemone reason being they are more hardy and practical in that aquarium than a carpet(might kill other fish) or magnificent which wanders around and is more sensitive plus those prop pumps will hurt any anemone which wanders too close to them

10. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

You definately need to wait a bit longer before getting an anemone. Waiting a year is best to let the tank mature. You will also want the individual reflectors in place before you get the anemone. Angel fish are not always reef safe and they need a bigger tank. Putting a fish in a smaller tank than recommended will also cause aggression.

Have you checked your source water for phosphates? Manual removal and being careful that you are not overfeeding will also help. What are you feeding the tank? Nassarius snails are great for cleaning up uneaten meaty foods. They are also good at sifting the sandbed.

I would go with a BTA (E. quadricolor) in this case once the tank is mature and stable. My reasoning is that you don't want to over crowd an anemone. The BTA is known to split if it feels it is getting too crowded. Anemones can grow 18 inches or more in captivity. I don't believe you have 18 inches to spare for an anemone, so one that splits easily is going to be your best option here.

Also the minimum recommendation for the Saddle Back or Sebae clownfish (not sure what you have) is 30 gallons, so you are just under the bare minimum tank size with the clownfish.

11. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Ok thanks Brenda, very useful information there. The clowns were sold to me as black perculas, but only found out after I bought them that they were Sebae's, I might even look at adding very few other fish and having the clowns as the feature fish in the tank.

I'm feeding nutrifin pellets, omega 1 veggie flakes, and tried a few small pieces of raw fish to try get the bigger clown eating, but battling a bit. Going to check my phosphates tomorrow, if they are high I will make sure I reduce them by either collecting elsewhere and using phos remover or just using a good phos remover.

I'll take a look into those snails, but if they are too expensive I might just look at getting more hermit crabs and another cleaner shrimp.

Thanks again. Any suggestions on getting the bigger clown to eat, or should I just leave her to settle in.

12. Anemone

Anemone

If you can get your hands on some adult live brine, it may help to get it to eat. The brine (unless enriched) won't have any nutritional value, but it may trigger it to start eating, then you can try some other foods. Some raw mysis shrimp may also help. You want to get something that has a strong odor. For fish that are not eating, I wouldn't try pellets or flakes at the moment. Just be careful to not add a lot.

13. FransSny

FransSny

ditto on what anemone said, you canalso try soaking the food in garlic water for a while it worked for me

14. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys. Brenda appreciate the help. Will see what I can get hold of.

Fransny, do you mean crush garlic, or must I get a piece of raw garlic and put in water? Please explain how you did it. Thanks

15. FransSny

FransSny

lowflyer ive used both but would rather suggest fresh garlic.

just peel a clove, semi crush it with the flat side of a knife and add to a bit of tank water in a gless...now just soak your pellets / flakes for a few mins.

once happyu scoop them out with a spoon & feed...also 'apparently" helps ward off infections

16. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Suppose it's the strong smell of the garlic that attracts them to the food, I just with the big clown would copy the small one and eat everything that enters the tank:lol:

17. Anemone

Anemone

You LFS may also carry a garlic solution.

18. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Hi there, clown started eating like mad when I added some marine mix frozen food, it has crayfish in it and as soon as the food entered the tank it was alert and going mad. I'm excited now, good sign:)

19. Anemone

Anemone

Awesome!!!!

20. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help Brenda, achilles and Fransny, I'm gonna keep this thread saved so that I can go back to it for help:)

21. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

Recent Posts