The Reef Octopus Clan

thx, "should be a ball valve at the base of the fitting" is this different type fitting. Was just going to get T piece and extend the pipe to base of the cup
Yes it should be done exactly the way you see it in the pic I posted. A T piece on it own will not solve your problem.

Did changes this weekend to my skimmer. Looks like the one in Mekaeel's photo.
Had to raise the breather pipe cause water was overflowing. About 5 cm higher now than the catchment cup. Also did mod to O-Ring....more bubble now. Still settling in as water level is not staying constant.
Picks up to mid level of unit and cup then drops. Producing brown muck more than it was before so must be more optimal setup.

Hi Mekaeel, pump rated at 3000L, its the same pump that the skimmer comes out with.
Not sure what you mean pump from Skimmer intake. The Skimmer pump is fixed as per std reef Octopus skimmers. My DT pump is probably no more than 1m away from Skimmer pump, all roughly same height as well

Hi Mekaeel, pump rated at 3000L, its the same pump that the skimmer comes out with.
Not sure what you mean pump from Skimmer intake. The Skimmer pump is fixed as per std reef Octopus skimmers. My DT pump is probably no more than 1m away from Skimmer pump, all roughly same height as well

Sorry Greg, I'm a little confused. How exactly is water entering the skimmer? Is it been fed directly from the overflow or through a pump (not talking about the recirculating pump mounted on the skimmer)? Please post a few more pics of the skimmer from a few angles if possible.

OK, now I feel like a royal clot......:blush::blush::blush:not sure I should be admitting this but got the skimmer second hand and have never seen another one in action on a tank. My problem is I have the inlet and outlet connected wrong way around:lol: I have overflow from DT going into (Skimmer Outlet...thick pipe on your pic) and then water leaving the skimmer via your skimmer Inlet pic.....suppose that's we we ask those who know...will fix this weekend.big thanks :whistling:

OK, now I feel like a royal clot......:blush::blush::blush:not sure I should be admitting this but got the skimmer second hand and have never seen another one in action on a tank. My problem is I have the inlet and outlet connected wrong way around:lol: I have overflow from DT going into (Skimmer Outlet...thick pipe on your pic) and then water leaving the skimmer via your skimmer Inlet pic.....suppose that's we we ask those who know...will fix this weekend.big thanks :whistling:
Glad you finally found the problem Greg. Once the skimmer is hooked up correctly, you will be very pleased with the results. Still one of my favourite skimmers.

Hi Mekaeel, I now have the skimmer connected the proper way as per your pic. Having problems keeping the water level in the skimmer constant. I currently have the overflow from DT splitting into 2 one for the skimmer and the other into refugium. Should the skimmer be on its own separate overflow. How much water should actually be coming out the skimmer and at what height should the water level be set in the skimmer for optimal performance.

Hi Mekaeel, I now have the skimmer connected the proper way as per your pic. Having problems keeping the water level in the skimmer constant. I currently have the overflow from DT splitting into 2 one for the skimmer and the other into refugium. Should the skimmer be on its own separate overflow. How much water should actually be coming out the skimmer and at what height should the water level be set in the skimmer for optimal performance.
Hi Greg

My guess is... You have split the overflow piping and therefore water may not be a constant flow in one direction. That may be causing the level to fluctuate. My suggestion will be to give it direct flow and not split it. Alternatively, use a separate feed pump for the skimmer. I recall feeding my old DNW 200 with a 1500lph Lifetech pump, once head loss was calculated, I would say the skimmer was getting fed +- 1000lph.
Hope this helps.

Hi guys

I'm keen on buying a reef octo 2000 int skimmer from one of our member here.

I've read that this skimmer performs best in 15-16cm water height as it's difficult to adjust it to prevent the cup overflowing in deeper water levels

My skimmer chamber in my simp is 24cm deep. Will this be a problem for the reef octo skimmer?

If I lift the reef octo skimmer on a stand to sit in 15-16cm of water then I will not be able to open the cup easily for maintenance?

Modifying my sump will be a lot of work and a challenge as my sump is 2 sumps joined with a bridge.

Pls help

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom