The Reef Octopus Clan

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Just thought i would share what my RO 250 is doing after all the mods. Firstly i don't have pics of what it looked like new before any mods, sorry.
First mod was replace the flat washer with an o ring
Second mod was the mesh wheel mod and this is what the skimmer looked like

RIMG0145.jpg

I was bored on Sunday after all the excitement of the rugby, so decided to fiddle with the skimmer. I enlarged the venturi's and cut out the "T" pieces on the inside that the recirculation pumps feed through and replace them with 45deg bends and this is what i ended up with.

RIMG0138-2.jpg

Unfortunately i don't have a better pic of the skimmer before the above conversion but you can see how much further the bubbles move down the chamber if you compare the 2 pics.
Just to give folk an idea of the size of this skimmer here is a pic, with the skimmer and a 25L drum next to each other

RIMG0136-1.jpg

This is what the foam looks like at the moment, not easy to take a pic as it wont keep still.

RIMG0153-2.jpg

I really enjoy these skimmers as there is so much to play with and mod, not that they need it but it still is fun.
What next? Been thinking about re-plumbing the inlets to the recirc pumps and maybe get an extra 15% water flow as more water flow=more air drawn into the skimmer.

Yip, the flat washer partially covers the venturie outlet and restricts the airflow into the recirc pumps.

How did you enlarge the venturi's? Simply drilled them bigger? Are you talking about where the hole goes through the grey part on the pump?

Yes, but mainly the hole where it exits into the pump, this has to be done very carefully though as you dont want to break through into the venturi itself.

Um Alan how did you change the T's? You think it's possible to try with mine? I'm upgrading my pump to a OR3500 because I'm sick of the noise.... how and where do I drill the venturi? How do you plan on replumbing the skimmer pumps?

Um Alan how did you change the T's?
I had to cut them out as they are glued.
You think it's possible to try with mine?
We can, what RO skimmer have you got Sims?
I'm upgrading my pump to a OR3500 because I'm sick of the noise.... how and where do I drill the venturi?
You will see the venturi opening when you strip the skimmer. Sims did you do the O ring mod to your skimmer?
How do you plan on replumbing the skimmer pumps?
I want to re plum the feed to the pumps and replace with larger piping and a soft 90deg elbow not the sharp bend.

Questions below

I had to cut them out as they are glued.

I only got 1 t so the water would only enter from 1 side?

We can, what RO skimmer have you got Sims?

Same as you just 1 pump

You will see the venturi opening when you strip the skimmer. Sims did you do the O ring mod to your skimmer?

No I did not but will do it if you would be so kind to explain (is it the inside of where the tubing goes into the pump

I want to re plum the feed to the pumps and replace with larger piping and a soft 90deg elbow not the sharp bend.

That should work

Excellent stuff Alan, there certainly looks like there is a nice difference. Please let us know how the skimmer performs over the next couple of weeks. Do you know what the actual size is of the O rings are? I want to start replacing washers for O rings on the skimmers that I sell. I may also get a collection of all the better mods and make prints to add to all the skimmer boxes. Thanks for the continued R&D;)

Sims you will find the washer between the pump and the actual venturi, it is in the area where the air exists the venturi and enters the mixing chamber of the pump.

Sorry forgot to mention that this is the skimmer where the feed pump burnt out the other day, so replaced it with a ATI 5800L/Ph, so the water is flowing through the skimmer fairly quickly.

Wow that's alot of flow through the skimmer.... I have mine feeding from the overflow but when I setup the new tank I plan on a feed pump of 2500l....

Hey Alan - No I did not I used up all my strength doing a 200l water change on Sunday so have it in my diary to strip and clean the skimmer either tonight or Wednesday night. I'll do the washer mod and the mesh mod when the pump is off... hope you don't mind but if I get stuck I may be forced to call you for help :) ...

Hi Alan, et al...

How long does it take for one of your skimmers to get back to "full production" once you have messed with it? (cleaned it, modded pump, etc, etc, etc)??

Thanks, Jacques

If i have just cleaned the cup 5 min, if i have really messed around with it, mods etc, it generally takes a couple of hours to start skimming properly. feeding flake and pellets also takes about a hour.

Back
Top Bottom