The Radion LED Clan

Reaction score
Hi All

What is your opinion on the Radion Gen 4 Pro. I was out of marines for about 2 to 3 years and I am back.
How many of these units would I need on a 1.5 x .7x wide .5 tank deep. Also I dont see a Radion Fan club....Dont you guys like Radions?

Reaction score
We can most definitely make a radion fan club. With your permission I'll change this thread title?

Reaction score
Hi All I am trying to set up a radion in my sump...As I bought new ones....So I have some spare lights lying around. Want to use one light in the sump running a reverse cycle.. I have created a new aquarium under the profile. So now it it look like I have 2 aquariums. My thinking was that I can now program the main light separately from the sump light. I programmed the sump radion with a lunar cycle with everything on 20 %. With no lights in the day for the sump. In the preview before you program the light it works 100%.. But when you go to programming it does not work the light is off. When I program it with a normal day cycle it is working..

I have also tried to let the light come on at 18:00 and off at 06:00 but that also does not work.

Any Ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Random pic showing RADION over a tank

FB_IMG_1533384152845.jpg

Reaction score
Hi All I am trying to set up a radion in my sump...As I bought new ones....So I have some spare lights lying around. Want to use one light in the sump running a reverse cycle.. I have created a new aquarium under the profile. So now it it look like I have 2 aquariums. My thinking was that I can now program the main light separately from the sump light. I programmed the sump radion with a lunar cycle with everything on 20 %. With no lights in the day for the sump. In the preview before you program the light it works 100%.. But when you go to programming it does not work the light is off. When I program it with a normal day cycle it is working..

I have also tried to let the light come on at 18:00 and off at 06:00 but that also does not work.

Any Ideas.
Are they not still paired by some chance? Try a complete reset on the one you want to use as a sump light to make sure it's not still using old settings. Maybe this video will help

Reaction score
Yes I did see the video and followed the instructions here. I also did a factory reset a couple of times. Still no success. I also send a email to tech support. Let see what they say.
This problem made me think ....is a reverse cycle on the lights still a thing ...What is the latest trends ....May be I can use the sump with decent lights for frags when I get to that stage..Also do you want to run frags in a sump.

In the sump O have calurpa and some live rock.. Sup\mp size is 700mm x 500x 250 deep this is only the are where the calurpa and the live rock is located. So the is space for other things.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
I think researching algae scrubbers, most people recommend a 16-20 hour light cycle for macro algae, with a short break in between cycles. Reverse cycle still the best to keep pH stable in display. But TBH, running a Radion G4 pro on a sump is quite extravagant. :lol:

Have you checked the time on the light itself? I have an XR15w G3 Pro and for some reason I can change the time on the app, but it always resets to a wrong time when I try to send the actual time to the the light, so had to adjust the light cycle by about 2 hours so it goes on and off at the right time.

Reaction score
That is a very pricey light to grow algae in the sump bud! And a complete waste, a bit like using a Ferrari to drive Garden refuse to the tips!

You can buy a beast of a 180 Watt Hydroponics LED (Made for plant growth) for your sump for 3k - no fancy settings but does the job like a boss.

Anyway Radion set up can be a bit finicky - some laptops just don't like talking to ecotec website. You need to down load the latest version of Java for starters and even then it doesn't always work. I can't get my laptop to talk to my Radions for love or money but a friend of mine has a laptop that talks to my lights in seconds. Costs me a lot of beer every time he comes over to fiddle but once you got the correct settings you don't need to fiddle.

The Gen 4 Pro have a much better spread of light compared to the Gen 3 Pro. I googled it and the comparison images look ok but only when you run the two side by side can you really see the difference.

I have only been running a Gen 4 for 2 weeks but I suspect it will knock the Gen 3 out the park in terms of coral growth, it just covers so much more area under intense light.

Gen 3 Pro grow SPS coral make no mistake but shadowing is a issue if you don't have enough of them but this problem applies to all LED light. I had 3 over my 180 x 70 wide tank, put a 4th one on. Much better but still not perfect, some acros still have sides that live in the shadows.

My only gripe about Radions is the price. That be said you never hear of people looking for Radion spares, my oldest one is 4 years plus, only maintenance is blowing the dust out the fan once a year.

My brother just bought some G4 Pro's in Beijing - 10k each, so we get fleeced here for them but we are a tiny market so I guess it goes with the Territory.

My parting 2 cents would be that unless you plan to be reefing long term they would probably not be worth the outlay.

Reaction score
Hey All Thanks for the reply's
I bought 2 radions about 5 years ago...Gen 1 or they might be Gen 2 not sure. So I was away from home for 9 months and very ting went for a ball of *&(^$&#%#9... with my son look after the tank.
Lights blew flow pumps blew.. Had to get a electrician out to get power to the system again..

So when I returned Had to buy 2 new lights and 2 new Quite drive MP 40.. Very happy with them they are very quiet.

So I had 1 older radion (I repaired one, new power supply) Not wanting it to lay around .. Used it in the sump... The led unit that was in the sump was also not working. So it made sense to put the older radion there.

So I have not lost my marbles yet. to use a very expensive Gen 4 pro radion in the sump....I had the older radion that I was not using... That went to the sump.

Still cant get the radion to work at night with a full light spectrum.. So I have decided to program it as normal running it with my main lights ...same program or settings.

Might not be ideal for the PH but thats is what I doing for now.

I did not have a problem with the computer not talking to the lights..But over The 5 year period I only tried 2 computers.. As I have a dedicated Dell laptop for my hobby's.. And home use.

I have now sorted every thing out with the tank..
Calupra...Lights...Pumps...Pellot reactor running again....New rewired electrical system with each and every electrical plug on its own plug top (14 in Total) away from the tank this time. As water leaks , or spills bugged up everything..
Semi automatic water change system. I am planning on doing a 12 liter water change every day until Nitrate has dropped. A bit high at 50 ppm ..tested with a red sea test kit.

Top Bottom