Comp: The Power Debate

Reaction score
So... I believe picture 1 is a common sight in South Africa:

dsc-0475.jpg

Thank you Eskom

We all have some sort of a backup solution and we all know that it is not really as effective as we'd like. I have 2 UPS's that runs one of my MP10s just to ensure there is some flow. Problem is I have to rotate, and they don't always run as long as we'd like.

wp-20141110-007.jpg

wp-20141110-006.jpg

So after a few greedy guys stole some cables and we were without power for a few days, I lost my crabs, shrimp and 2 fish. Enough was enough, another plan had to be made. Not knowing much about the topic, I did some reasearch on solar power. Bought my 1st kit, which consisted of 1 battery, a small inverter and 1 panel. This was enough to run 1 MP10 24/7. BUT, I wanted more. Everything needs to work.

Today, this is my setup, and looking at expanding more soon:

wp-20141110-004.jpg

wp-20141110-005.jpg

wp-20141110-008.jpg

It was easier than I thought, and now when there is no power I still get to run the full setup. Lights drain the power faster than Id like, thus the need for more soon.

wp-20141102-002.jpg

Hmm OK my drawing skills is not that great. This is the basics of the inverter
inverter.jpg
:

2nd image is the setup. Panels are 12 V each so have to run a combination of serial and parallel.
I run the batteries the same as I do the panels. each grid is 2 in paralel to give better amperage [increases run time] which then connect to another grid in serial to give the 24V output.

The inverter also connects to a standard wall socket as a power backup once the batteries drain, or say it is raining and there is not sufficient sunlight. Hope the diagram makes sense, my Pain skills aren't my strong suit haha.

setup.jpg

Last edited:
run the lights separate to the inverter, so when the power goes off the lights go off but the pumps still work!!

To be honest I did think of that but decided otherwise.
My lights only come on from late afternoon. LED's first so they don't take too much power, and then the T5s from 5PM so I can rush home and still switch them off before I run out of sunlight.

My 2nd goal for the setup was to save power. So the 95% of the time that I do have power it helps keep the bill lower, meaning I can justify spending money on corals without my girlfriend getting too mad :)

I like to shop online.
My initial setup I got from an online store, sustainable.co.za. Got the extra batteries and panels from them as well. They are based in Cape Town though so I had to wait a few days to get it here in Centurion.
The new inverter is RCT. I got mine from titan-ice.co.za. They price around R3300

Are those deep cycle batteries or normal car batteries?

Also, you do not need to run the lights when the power goes boom. Not needed, can run without lights easily for 3 days or more without issues. Take it as dark overcast and stormy days out at sea.

Thanks Riaan. Those are Deep Cycle yes 45Ah. Would like bigger ones but pricing becomes a problem.

Have not thought of the lights like that. Definitely something to think about

Back
Top Bottom