The "perfect" tank setup

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking for the "perfect" tank setup - in other words a setup that just won't fail...Even if you try... (ok ok I know this is not very likely, but what the heck lets give it a try.)
Just some basics:
The only given - the display tanks size = 300 l, and sump - 300 l.
The needs must cater for a mixed tank. Corals and fish

Now things to take into consideration for outputs:
1. Lighting - what type, size ext..
2. Substrate to be used in tank/sump
3. What is the ideal waterflow, and how to create it?
4. Parameters to check weekly/daily/monthly.
5. Supplements to use and frequency (and why you choose this)
6. What to do to prevent certain spikes for example phosphates/nitrates ext...
7. Any "hidden" secrets that the most begginers will miss, and only reliase when things are going bad - for example hairy algea start to grow, or corals/fish starts to die.

These are just some things that i could think of in short...
This can serve for very good guidelines for starters like me, and i think some interresting arguments can come out of this as well..:yeahdude:

firstly you need a good skimmer i would reccomend a ts1 reeftek its also affordable
lighting 3 t5 aquablue 2 t5 actnic 1t5 white all 54w
2400lph powerhead for a good flow
have a sump about 1 foot less than the tank

Hi Raven.... If you want a tank that could ALMOST not fail, you either need a LOT of T5 lights (maximum amount you can fit over your tank's top), as HUGE HUGE skimmer - I would rather suggest either 2 TS-2's or 1 TS3 or TS4, or perhaps even a ReefOctopus RS3/4 (DNW250/300). Or a Deltec AP851 (minimum).... The bigger the skimmer - the more "failure proof" tank you would have.

Then - a DSB - as big as possible, and an algae scrubber filtration system....

get the biggest DSB as possible with 15cm fine sand in it - run it reverse lighting with cheto.

for lights - maybe a combination of MH and T5s as the MH will allow certian other corals.

invest in Ca, & phos reactor

For greater stability I wound't make the sump smaller...
I'd even try and add a fuge. Will help with stability and nitrate/phosphate problems especially if on reverse light cycle.

as i understand - the algae scribber... is a filtration system that uses micro (cheato) and sometimes macro algae in the sump. as lappies said above a fuge. what you do is either over your DSB or in a seperate compartment in you sump you put in the cheato which filters the water or nitrates for you. you put a light over it to help the cheato grow and this light is run in reverse to what you main display is run - this reverse lighting helps stabalise the ph

I'm with Shan, but I believe Chaeto and other usual algae we see is Macro algae and single celled aglae like plankton is refered to as Micro algae :)

Also look at algae turf scrubbers. I strated a thread on it some time ago.

Ok, now don't shoot me down here, but would a better way not be to have the DSB in tank and try to do away with the skimmer? (One less thing to fail) I'm asking because I'm getting a new tank today, and this is what I want to try out.

Hye Sparky, I might also get shot for saying this but go for it.

DSB in the display might not look that good. Can't you add a fuge with one?

I'm planning the same thing, but with the DSB in my sump :)

I think activated carbon becomes a necesity in our case...

sparky - so you want to put 10-15cm worth of sand in your main display? that is a lot of money

Why would that be very expensive Shan?

You don't have to use aragonite. Playsand or Pool filter sand just as good...

Well yes, I understand its going to cost a bit, but in my case I actually prefer the look of it. After chatting to some guys here play sand looks like a cheaper option. I'm open to suggestions though

Ok, now don't shoot me down here, but would a better way not be to have the DSB in tank and try to do away with the skimmer? (One less thing to fail) I'm asking because I'm getting a new tank today, and this is what I want to try out.

Do you think it will be safe to do this?

Do you think it will be safe to do this?

I think a very important thig here is that you don't strat with one and then remove it later.

The skimmer removes junk, but food as well (sometimes looks like marine snow to me :whistling:). If you cycle the tank properly and not over load it then it should be fine. All the different micro food networks need to be established.

Sparky, once our DSB's are up and running we shoudl start a sand exchange club up here. Nothing like fresh goggas to give your DSB a boost.

Lol... I was going to post a request after I had it in, but yeah this would help a lot in getting started.

I got some nice beach sand from umlanga from under the low water mark. It is full of little worms. I'm keeping them going in a 50 L Jebo while I get my 4ft up and running.

Maybe you should take some when you ready ;) then I've got back-up.

Expensive to drive down for sand.

Back
Top Bottom