The Pearls Reeftank

Discussion in 'Reef Hunters' started by durleo, 13 Sep 2010.

1. durleo

durleo

Hi Guys

Does anybody know how the reef tank at the pearls in umhlanga broke.
    I saw it a few weeks ago and it was a huge bowfront tank with some lovely livestock.
    On my walk along the promenade yesterday i saw the area cordoned with barrier tape and a huge section of glass lying nearby. I hope they managed to save the livestock?

Regards
    Duran

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i was with millepora today, who runs the tank.
    he did not mention anything......are you sure....as that tank is acrylic, not glass!

4. millepora

millepora

Unfortunately it’s true, the tank did break. Structural engineers have accessed it but can’t say that it was a particular thing that caused it to break, they speculate that it could have been a number of small things that probable led to the break. I will go more into detail later as I want to start a thread to document the tank. Right now I am busy preparing for the replacement tank, just waiting for the insurance people to give the go ahead.
    The new tank will be even better than the last one.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Millepora - did all the lifestock survive? Please comment on this at least?

6. durleo

durleo Thread Starter

Thats cool - the first one was a real beauty aswell - Lets wait for the new one and this time dont hold out on us;)

7. Achilles

Achilles

I was there in June and was pretty impressed with the livestock in there be a shame if they perished.

In June all the corals were thriving in that tank as were the fish but the substrate was full of nuisance hair algae.Did this aquarium run on artificial or natural sea water?

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  8. Andreas

Andreas

Wow sorry to hear Andrew:(Hope some of the livestock was saved. No more diving in there for you until the new tank is setup:whistling:Did the acrylic just part from the concrete?

Recent Posts