The Noob is Back....LOL

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Immo, 21 Feb 2011.

1. Immo

Immo

Firstly i want to say thank you to all of you for helping me out and giving me some advise.

Now here is my situation

I have managed to secure some tanks :

1. BOYU - +- 300l tank (Not sure exactly the ltrs)
    2. Custom Made +- 250l Round tank, with 15mm, i think, glass. (Will try and get some pics up soon)
    3. A Small +-150l standard glass tank.
    4. A TetraTek 1000l Canister Filter thing.

I haven't bought the items yet, but the guy wants R5000 for the lot.

Advise please....Is this a good price for a second hand lot? Cos i have seen the Boyu Tank go for R4500 on its own and the Filter for R2800.

So i'm assuming that i am getting a steal here......

What i was planing is keeping the Boyu and the small glass tank and selling of the Round one. use the small tank as a sump and not sure about the filter....

On another note.....I poped into Northlands Pets this morning, and was once again told this time by the owner of the store himself, that i don't need the whole sump setup...

I could just go for the filter and a bio filter in the tank....but after reading up on these forums, i noted that a skimmer is most important....Is the bio filter similar to a skimmer?

NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am tearing my hair out @ this....and i'm bald....;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

You dont need Sump, but its Great to have one and its pros far outweight its cons.

Firstly you need to ask yourself what do you want to keep?
    Then you need to plan your system to what will work for you, your budget and the space avalible to you.

4. Immo

Immo Thread Starter

Well, i basically want to keep a mixed tank......

Budget wise, thats tight, but can always just skip the kids school fees...lol....

Money wise, thats not a huge problem.....

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Dont buy it. Curved glass tanks run the risk of cracking or bursting. Rather keep your R5000 and check the for sale threads here and you will pick up something much better for that money. I bought a 500L tank, stand and a 4ft sump for R1600! The canister filter you will not need. Go with a sump because if you don't, later on you will regret it :) .. Just my input.. Rather do things slow and right the first time :)

Recent Posts