The next step - Upgrading

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am usually a person that does not post on forums a lot but, I thought I will document some of the new setup.
I am still very new to marine aquariums and have only been keeping some fresh (or salty) sushi for a few months.

Our adventure started a few months back when I walked into a shop to "research" the possibility of finally being able to keep marine fish. Ended up walking out with a Boyu TL550, dry rock, sand, water and a Zetlight 1201L. Since then it has been a great experience with some highs and some lows but, a lot of entertainment from a few damsels, clowns, shrimps and hermit crab.

Since then me and my other half started spending a bit more time around pet shops and marine shops just looking at livestock and sometimes buying a few things. Obviously my eyes started to wonder around for a bigger tank with a proper sump setup. I just could not help it.

Last week I decided it is time to not only upgrade but, will probably end up keeping the TL550 as well. Moved some appliances to the garage to make space for a little bit of an upgrade and now I am awaiting the new toys to arrive.

I will try update this thread with the progress once the new setup arrives.
More details will be posted once I have everything as, some hardware might change.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 202
I'm Groot.

Almost everyone upgrade from TL550 / 450 to bigger. Or they want to. Good luck with the new setup.

I can understand why. The TL is still a great tank. The reason why I will keep it for the time being. Seeing as the other half agreed on two tanks. The look I just got when I told her the price of the new setup might change her mind on the two tank idea :m16:

You okes crack me up.
I should be picking up the tank, lighting, heaters, wavemakers and maybe some dry rock late afternoon.
Planning to start the cycle this weekend.

I picked up the tank yesterday with a few other goodies. When i got home I noticed i forgot the sump at the shop. Fetching the sump tonight.

I started adding water and will continue to do so during the course of the week. I am still on track to start the cycle this weekend.

My biggest challenge right now is the aquascape as I have not done it at this scale. Need to find the best way to secure the rocks.

Attachments

• CD46000C-EBB4-4277-A770-160F6FA3930A.jpeg
    CD46000C-EBB4-4277-A770-160F6FA3930A.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 292
  • B1B2040C-37D9-450E-B49A-3967AA6AF4C7.jpeg
    B1B2040C-37D9-450E-B49A-3967AA6AF4C7.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Reactions: Baz
What tank is that? A boyu?
Yes it is a Boyu HA-900. Had the shop source it for me. It came with a skimmer and uplift pump. It is a nice design (well for me it does).
Seeing as this is a bit of a budget build, I did not go with Redsea.

Light is a Zetlight ZS-7300
2x 200w heaters
2x wave makers

Yes it is a Boyu HA-900. Had the shop source it for me. It came with a skimmer and uplift pump. It is a nice design (well for me it does).

2x 200w heaters
2x wave makers
How much of that seachem pearl beach Aragonite are you using? I see two bags but how big :m41:

How much of that seachem pearl beach Aragonite are you using? I see two bags but how big :m41:
I got two 10KG bags for now. Will get another if i need to. Will try add sand in the week after i have the aquascape figured out.

2x 200w heaters
2x wave makers
Very neat setup so far.
How does this tank compare price wise to the Red Sea?
Also what size is it and would be interested to see the sump if you willing to post pics

Very neat setup so far.
Also what size is it and would be interested to see the sump if you willing to post pics
It is a lot more affordable compared to the same size redsea. Would still have preferred a redsea though. It is around 240l display size. Not sure of the sump size but, i will take pictures once i have unpacked it tonight.

Very neat setup so far.
Pics of the sump as requested.

Attachments

• E9017046-6959-412F-B696-AB87134163DB.jpeg
    E9017046-6959-412F-B696-AB87134163DB.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 603B897A-0AEE-4036-8E9A-5895E9983ED0.jpeg
    603B897A-0AEE-4036-8E9A-5895E9983ED0.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 219
Pics of the sump as requested.
Cool has everything you could need from a sump.
A sump is also something that is such a personal choice, I have seen videos and pics who bought a Red Sea Reefer but then ended up removing the sump and putting there own custom design in, so i guess its all relative to what you want to achieve

Cool has everything you could need from a sump.
A sump is also something that is such a personal choice, I have seen videos and pics who bought a Red Sea Reefer but then ended up removing the sump and putting there own custom design in, so i guess its all relative to what you want to achieve
Absolutely. Maybe after some time I will decide to change as well. Will come with experience. Would have liked a refuguim as part of the sump but, it is something i will add at a later stage. For now this will do the job. Major upgrade as is. I am used to the back filter system of the TL550 and it is an absolute nightmare to work on.

Absolutely. Maybe after some time I will decide to change as well. Will come with experience. Would have liked a refuguim as part of the sump but, it is something i will add at a later stage. For now this will do the job. Major upgrade as is. I am used to the back filter system of the TL550 and it is an absolute nightmare to work on.
It is hard to judge size from the pic but you could put a external skimmer next to the sump and use the skimmer compartment for a refugium
Although that might cost more then having a new sump made
Definitely a major upgrade from a TL550

What filtration are you planning to use on this tank?

It is hard to judge size from the pic but you could put a external skimmer next to the sump and use the skimmer compartment for a refugium
Although that might cost more then having a new sump made
Definitely a major upgrade from a TL550

What filtration are you planning to use on this tank?
I will keep the current skimmer on for the time being. Will decide later if another sump is the way to go. Not a fan of external items. The sump size is around 66x40x40 i think.
Currently i only have a filter sock, filter floss and seachem matrix in for filtration. Sand, dryrock and water is in and have switched on the pumps and heater. Water is still a bit foggy but will post more pics when it has cleared. This weekend it is maintenance time on the TL550. Feel bad for all the work i have been putting into the new build and not staring at my weird and wonderful creatures.

Everything seem to be working great. light has been setup as well as skimmer and heaters. Started adding Seachem Stability last night. Have not used this product before. So far so good. Had a great workout lifting and carrying water around.

Back
Top Bottom