The next step - Upgrading

Reaction score
Everything seem to be working great. light has been setup as well as skimmer and heaters. Started adding Seachem Stability last night. Have not used this product before. So far so good. Had a great workout lifting and carrying water around.
Seachem Stability is great, it has always worked for me.
You might want to add an ammonia source though to get the cycle going
It works well to feed the bacteria in the stability and allow them to colonize faster

Reaction score
Seachem Stability is great, it has always worked for me.
You might want to add an ammonia source though to get the cycle going
It works well to feed the bacteria in the stability and allow them to colonize faster
I have heard great thinks about Stability. Is it necessary to add an ammonia source with the Stability or does it just help?

Reaction score
I have heard great thinks about Stability. Is it necessary to add an ammonia source with the Stability or does it just help?
Not necessary as such but does speed up the process exponentially
Basically you are adding bacteria (Stability) these bacteria need ammonia as a 'food source' by adding ammonia you feed the bacteria and they grow and multiply
If you don't add ammonia most of the bacteria will stay dormant and not grow, some may even die off until you have a natural occurring source of ammonia which should happen over time from things like die off from your live rock, etc.

Also when i say speed up the process I don't mean that you can add livestock in one week instead of 6 weeks
I would say still wait the 4-6 weeks for your tank to cycle and let the filtration mature however the difference is as follows:
4-6 weeks cycle with stability (no ammonia) then your bacterial capacity is say sitting at 1 million
4-6 weeks cycle with stability (adding ammonia) your bacterial capacity is say sitting at 10 million cause they have had more growth due to more food available
These numbers are just a random figure to give you an idea of the concept, hope that makes sense
basically at the end of the day is what it means when you are ready to add livestock then your filtration is in a far more mature capacity that will be able to handle that initial livestock introduction much better

Reaction score
Not necessary as such but does speed up the process exponentially
Basically you are adding bacteria (Stability) these bacteria need ammonia as a 'food source' by adding ammonia you feed the bacteria and they grow and multiply
If you don't add ammonia most of the bacteria will stay dormant and not grow, some may even die off until you have a natural occurring source of ammonia which should happen over time from things like die off from your live rock, etc.

Also when i say speed up the process I don't mean that you can add livestock in one week instead of 6 weeks
I would say still wait the 4-6 weeks for your tank to cycle and let the filtration mature however the difference is as follows:
4-6 weeks cycle with stability (no ammonia) then your bacterial capacity is say sitting at 1 million
4-6 weeks cycle with stability (adding ammonia) your bacterial capacity is say sitting at 10 million cause they have had more growth due to more food available
These numbers are just a random figure to give you an idea of the concept, hope that makes sense
basically at the end of the day is what it means when you are ready to add livestock then your filtration is in a far more mature capacity that will be able to handle that initial livestock introduction much better
Ahhh ok I got it. It makes perfect sense. Thank you Reefhead. What ammonia source will you suggest? Just pop a dead shrimp in there or will you suggest a bottled store from the LFS?

Reaction score
Ahhh ok I got it. It makes perfect sense. Thank you Reefhead. What ammonia source will you suggest? Just pop a dead shrimp in there or will you suggest a bottled store from the LFS?
Dead shrimp is definitely one way, personally this is a messy way of doing it
I might get slated on here for saying this but if you can find a product at the LFS then rather use that, I have seen a few products that are either ammonium hydroxide or ammonium chloride but I have not seen a LFS in SA that stocks them
I know a product called Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is very popular overseas but I don't know where to find it in SA.
I use pure ammonium hydroxide and works well for me, I have some if you would like to use it

Reaction score
Ok. Will think about it going forward. For now I will just add stability as per the instructions. I want to get another bottle of stability to add when I do a water change and adding livestock after the cycle.
Thank you for the offer but, I am afraid I am a bit far from you ;)
I will take water samples in to the shop to test and advise me. That is what I did with my first setup and it worked great. Very helpful LFS

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok. Will think about it going forward. For now I will just add stability as per the instructions. I want to get another bottle of stability to add when I do a water change and adding livestock after the cycle.
Thank you for the offer but, I am afraid I am a bit far from you ;)
I will take water samples in to the shop to test and advise me. That is what I did with my first setup and it worked great. Very helpful LFS
Perfect
Good luck with the build

Reaction score
Thank you.
I started the cycle on Thursday and took some time setting the overflow. First time working on an overflow and a bit new to it. Still trying to figure out the occasional gargling sounds.
Water is still very cloudy due to me not rinsing the sand before the time. Hopefully it will clear soon.
Been playing around with the Zetlight ZS-7300 and it is impressive but, very bright. I will probably need the acclimation mode more than the fish and corals.

Reaction score
A lot clearer today before i moved some sand around and switched the wave makers around. Thinking of using a bit of seachem clarity to help with the silt. Have not tested water yet. On my list to get done this week.
Do you have filter floss or a sock for your overflow into the sump?
This will help also to clear up any suspended solids

Reaction score
Do you have filter floss or a sock for your overflow into the sump?
This will help also to clear up any suspended solids
Yes I have both. Was clear again this morning. Adjusted the wavemakers a bit it looks a lot better.

Reaction score
It has been a while since my last update.
New tank has been settling in nicely and I have started to move some of my coral from the TL550 to the new tank. Currently have some Zoas, GSP and a small hammer sharing the tank. They seem very happy and open all the time.

Been playing with the overflow a bit and think I have it where it needs to be. I would however want to extend the main overflow by about 1cm. Don't know how I will be doing it yet but, have a few ideas in mind.

One thing I am not used to is the amount of evaporation from the tank. Been topping up RO daily and really need to get a auto top-up. Once I raise the main overflow I will look into getting a auto top-up.

Heat management is another thing I am battling slightly. Nothing major but, due to the heater being in the sump, I find that I need to constantly adjust the temperature. A temperature controller is definitely on my list to add in the coming months.

I have decided that the rest of my creatures need to stay in the TL550 for a few months. Have 1 damsel, 2 clowns, clam, BTA, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, hermit crab and a snail. Plan is to move them all in one day when I can take the rocks out and shut down the tank.

I will be adding a bit of livestock to the new tank soon. What i have added to the tank is a small LED light in the sump area, attempting to start a small refugium in two of the compartments and have added some pods. The two fish i have in the tank currently was having a field day with the pods that get picked up by the return pump.

Water clarity has been great until i went and cleaned the glass a bit and kicked up some “dust”.
Had the same problem in my first tank so no big issue really.

All water parameters are testing fine except for KH that is a bit low. Currently dosing some reef builder and testing every 3rd day.

More updates will follow when I start adding a bit of items to the new tank.

Attachments

Reaction score
Decided to do the big move this weekend. I have moved the rest of my stock to the bigger tank and have started the process of shutting down the TL550. I must say I feel a bit sad seeing it all dark with no life in it but, my new tank is doing really well. Clowns that were a bit protective is playing nice with all the new tank mates.

Not much in terms of upgrades has been done as I am a tad broke and work has been keeping me busy. I am now starting to look around for some nice and easy (and a bit cheap) coral frags that I want to add to the tank. ATO will be added in the coming months only. For now I just to maintain and add on slowly as I am able.

Attachments

Last edited: