The Nano Bowl

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by fly*, 8 Sep 2010.

1. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

[​IMG]

I have a 20L Glass Fishbowl that I used to keep a Betta in years ago that i'm hoping to house some non light loving small softies, some shroom's, some rics and maybe a hermit. I had a few ideas for the lighting but the simplest and most elegant seemed to be one of those old school desk lamps running either a 8000k CFL or a LED E27 from Genral Lamp. I'll see how the livestock fairs with the CFL 1st though.

The bowl is going to have a small internal sump with a 600lph (should cycle the bowl 24 times an hour) pump doing the work and I have a small 50w heater to do the heating. The sump will have 2 compartments, 1st compartments will hold the filter media, some sponge and filter floss, 2nd compartment will hold the pump, the heater and some purigen.

[​IMG]

This sketch is more or less to scale but this kinda build is going to need a bit of tinkering and fiddling, the sump area as I said will be split into 2 and the "inlet" will just be a simple toothless lowered lip, i'm just being lazy when it comes to sketch :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's everything cleaned up and i've now started working on the template for the internal sump. I'll see how the plastic container works 1st as a sump but i'm toying with getting the sump made from black or clear perspex. It'll just look that much slicker.

I don't really want to go the external sump route firstly because I just don't want to :) and secondly because the glass on this is helluva thin so I either risk cracking it while drilling or cracking it later once the inlet and outlet are running through.

I'll keep you updated as I go :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

wow a sump and everything lol

4. fly*

fly* Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hey be nice !!! i'm just having a bit of fun here :)

5. butcherman

i am being nice, looks cool ;)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  6. fly*

I'll be honest, its to keep me away from my Nano. I dunno what the biggest drawcard to this hobby is for me, the biology or the mods :p :)

7. butcherman

i love the mods too :p

8. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

lol.good idea man.but remember you gonna want a bigger tank sooner than later. :p

9. fly*

Well I have a 15 gallon Nano marine and a 9 Gallon planted so maybe...

I am looking at a 200L Cube a little down the line, but that will be next year no doubt :)

What can I say, I like the smaller things in life :)

10. fly*

Ok so some changes over the last 2 weeks or so. It turned out nearly impossible to get the inner curve of the sump right. So I gave up and put in 2 small mini filter pumps instead. They acts as both a mechanical filter and powerhead so so long as i do regular water changes it shouldnt be an issue.

I've also added some kenya liverock and an LED fitting to complement the 9w 6400k PL. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fly*

These shots were taken before I added the LED Fixture. This is 3x2w Cree 7000k with 45 degree lenses (a bit tight for comfort but they work well for this application.

[​IMG]

I had a 14w Philips Genie CFL Daylight plus a 9w PL 6400k n before. There was more than enough light with this setup tbh. Took out the 14w Genie and replaced it with the LED and 1st thing I noticed was the light is very focussed but a lot more intense, I actually get shimmer now?! [​IMG] I had to lift the lighting fixture quite a bit higher to get the same kind of spread as the CFL but it works quite nicely.

To me it has a very MH feel for want a better word, you definately need PL's to fill in the gaps (i'm keeping my 9w) but ultimately not a bad buy me thinks (the aptasia seems to like it) and it draws hardly anything. 6w compared to the genies 14w, thats incredible !!!

Here's some before and after shots.

[​IMG]

14w Philips Genie 6500k + 9w 6400k PL

[​IMG]

6w LED + 9w 6400k PL

[​IMG]

just the 6w LED

12. butcherman

Nice work. I like the LEDs

13. xtreme

xtreme

And I thought when starting to read this thread, another stupid idea to go so small, BUTTTTT, actualy it looks cool looks like a bowl taken out of the ocean :thumbup:
    Keep us up dated, like to see how the coral is doing.

14. fly*

lol, well the proof will jbe in the pudding so they say :) we'll see how the frags take once the system is cycled!

15. fly*

Ok so for the last 2 months i've been cycling this Nano with troubling results. After the 1st month I tested it, all the results came back fine, I had critters running around, aiptasia waving in the current and a few nice big feathers that came with the LR.

I then decided to chuck in some recycled Purigen and thats when the trouble began. The next morning the tank was yellow?! ?! I instantly thought "purigen", took it out and did a 100% water change. Checked the tank a little later and everything had been wiped out, feathers, critters and even the aiptasia. So I presumed there mustve been some chlorine residue left after I recycled the purigen and decided to start all over again. That was a month ago, GHA started growing again and after 2 weeks I had to dump some GSP into this nano from the main tank since it was starting to go a bit banana's. It faired alright tbh and maybe a week ago I moved some xenias for teh same reason. Also they were doing "alright" but not as well as I thought they should. The test revealed the tanks cycled and all the parameters are looking good but still I had teh feeling that something wasnt right.

Last night while cleaning the tank I decided to remove a digital thermometer that battery had gone flat awhile back. I put it in the same time as the purigen. The back compartment that covered the battery had fallen off somehow and had been leeching battery acid into my tank for the last month. I think the salt had slowly started covering up the battery compartment thats why my tank had slowly started getting better. Battery was obviously fried and teh units been chucked but makes you think doesnt it.

Did another 100% WC last night and hopefully in a weeks time I can add a turbo to clean up the forests of GHA that have been building up (no doubt due to the battery acid leeching as well)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Nov 2010
  16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Just saw this now, looks like it was becoming an awesome little tank...the round bowl for a "marine tank" just looks so cool. Pity about the accident...hope you sort it out and get things back on track.

17. fly*

Yeah hopefully it all comes together pretty soon. So far the softies that are in there are doing well, just need to add a turbo and a hermit to take care of the GHA :) Thats next week.

18. danimal

danimal

good luck bud, this is a really cool little project, you've given me some ideas! :p

19. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Very creative :biggrin:
    I think it would look even A WHOLE lot better will a lot of tiny rocks in a nice arrangment and not just two huge boulders.

Either then that i think you have a worlds first there:):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

20. fly*

Hey Zaxx,

When I initially went to find Live Rock I was going in with the smaller rocks idea but I changed my mind after seeing what the LFS had to offer for 2 reasons.

1.) the mechanical filteration in this tank is very light so i'm going to have to rely heavily on my live rock to help me with bio filteration. I dont think LR rubble wouldve been enough and

2.) you cant see it from the photos but the LR was very porous with a lot of cave like features that appealed to me :) will make some critter things very happy imo.

But as always you never really know how things will turn out until you start adding the corals. I'm hoping it doesnt get crowded too quickly but it really depends on whats available :)

I'll take some more pics once the GHA has been eaten :)

21. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

lol looks really good still. Can understand why you did that now... Yup can see you got great live rock there. With time and chopping and changing will be interesting to follow... Nano "fishbowl" can go into business with this buddy!!! hehe:biggrin:
    Cant wait to see it with some fishies;)

Recent Posts