The Marine Product Clutter

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 1 Nov 2012.

1. vatso

vatso

Hello all,

I am amazed at all the things we can buy for our tanks - for me it's like Christmas as I know there is a new something on the brew - like computers the new stuff is being made before the old stuff is sold :)

How do we decide and get our heads around these products and what to buy and what not to?

Hardware:
    • Skimmers every few months a new better version comes out? and by better is it because it's new?
    • Lights well here this is of interest to me - the LED story vs T5's or MH and how much electricity they save? well that might have been the case with 1W LED's now they are at 3W and nearly as close to the MH and T5 values and don't forget the wonderful price tag LOL - how did tanks of yester year do well? they did not have these new products?
    • And there are many more just picking on these 2
    Supplements
    • There is a new product around every corner - how does one tell if they work?
    • I loved science but don't want to play test kit with my tank does new mean better?
    • the salts we now buying are they sub standard is that why we need all the other supplements? what happened to the dilutions is the best cause for pollution?
    • How does a new person to the hobby make the right choice?
    Testing
    • Where is testing gone? we have some new electronic test kits which I have makes life easier.
    • Why is testing out the window? Products are offered rather then patients
    We are very harsh on the new folk that make mistakes but lets be honest here there are many things for our tanks do they all make it better?

There have been members here who have run none skimmer systems and they have looked awesome? :eek: yes it's true

People need to remember what you put in can not always be taken out of our systems.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

4. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

@vatso, very valid points you make. These apply not just to our hobby but to nearly everything else as well (cosmetics, foods, cars, etc.)

Sometimes these changes are indeed an ipovement whether it be in terms of increased effectiveness or efficiency, better safety, enhanced ease of use etc. but many times it seems to be the same thing packaged differently with a few minor modifications (but with a much heftier price tag).

I just wish our hobby was like the computer industry, where we are always getting more at a lower price. Equipment in the marine industry seems to be only increasing in cost,although I must say livestock prices have not followed that same trend at all. Costs of livestock are pretty much flat over the past five years or so.

Whether or not this is due to better shipping conditions, high survival rates, better husbandry from LFS's or the huge amount of competition I am not sure. But equipment is pretty much a brand game (same as with motor vehicles) - sure the quality is better on the well-known and established brands but is it 5 or 10X better - costs would seem to suggest this but practically?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I have now been in the hobby for 3 years and there are so many new things / products I myself don't know which works and which is just a gimmick why are there no real reviews on these products??

6. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

We occasionally have members taking a new product, use it for a month, and give a write-up of the results.
    This, however, does not happen a lot, as firstly, not a lot of people are willing to play guinea pig with their box of pride.
    Secondly, not everyone have a budget to spend on something that might work, or might not, for their specific system. (The ideal would be to get a group of people with various set-ups, testing at the same time)
    Lastly, Those who are willing to test, do not always have the writing skills required (or FEEL that they do not), to put forth a proper document on the ups or downs of the product. Which, once again, is only an opinion of what they observed on THEIR system only, and not necessarily applicable to the majority of systems out there.

But I do agree, @viper357, I know that we have a Equipment review section, could we perhaps add a product review section as well?

There are a couple of threads floating around, and it would be nice If we could group them together...

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  7. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Maybe the idea of testing a product is suggested on the forum and some people can give advice as to how to test the product to try get consistent results.

Also most people don't want to admit they have the wrong equipment :( - we need products to be tested by a group of people independent reviewers

8. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

I would love to be a guinea pig!!! :)

Just imagine all the free stuff!! :lol:

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

also alot of the time people do not know that they actually have the worng size or even under rated product for their needs

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree, think about how many members we have and how many different products they have, who better to give reviews than normal hobbyists that actually use the items/products on a daily basis. How many different products do you have in daily use? How about writing some reviews for us? ;) Our review section is a bit empty, fill it up for us. :D Equipment Reviews

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

nice topic, but its a hard one to debate, i have seen tanks run with almost nothing and look awesome, i have also seen a tank with stuff over R600 000 of goodies and look just as good, or just as bad...
    its all about the reefer, some items make life easier, some dont.
    if you are dedicated and enjoy the science, or the hobby, equipment is not a factor i think that will matter too much.

Recent Posts