The low-budget tank...

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Annoying, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey everyone

I finally convinced my mom to switch over to marine:thumbup:. Bye bye Malawi's:lol:. Now knowing I have a 200L tank to do what I want with it I was thinking "I wonder what's the best way to start a tank on the cheap" Don't get me wrong, I know buying cheap is only buying expensive in the future. This is only an experiment for those that want to start a marine tank but the budget is just to small. Now I would love some ideas for the tank. I was thinking for of an ATS in the place of a skimmer and I saw some LED lightiing at one of our hardware store. They were R100 for a 50 LED light. If I buy 4 and mount them on the tank I can test the LED for a Marine tank theory as well. For flow I'm thinking of a type of closed loop system. I won't be a full SPS reef, more to the LPS side and zoa's.

Any ideas will be apreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That sounds great, Annoying! BUT, how often will you be doing water changes on this 200 liter tank? Will this tank have a sump as well?

The CLS sounds great. And if you are not planning on keeping SPS or nemmies in this tank, then the LED lighting also sounds great. Are these 50 x 1 watt LED's?

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks Jacques, the tank will have a sump ( about 60 Litres) with a DIY overflow. It will aslo have chaeto and maybe I'll try a DIY skimmer(maybe...:whistling:). The overflow will flow into the ATS and then into the sump, first chamber cheato and live rock, then the return pump. I'm not sure on how much water changes is needed, the corals are all going to be easy and hardy and it will most likely have a small bioload (it all depends on MOM:lol:).

I don't know about the LED light outpoot, it's a 12 volt unit so I have to get a reducer for them. Oh and it has 60 LED's not 50, my bad. Also think the tank is to small for nennies and won't feel safe with them under LED's.

5. Suhayl

Suhayl

I would go for a nice big sump under with dsb and growing cheato. Also the skimmer very important to have. The type of overflow up to you but a c2c would work well. I would not use a close loop, rather use low wattage stream pumps. The LED lights I would rather leave, my personal opinion they dont work. T5 you bet will work give of nice spectrum light, maybe 5 in total. I also like a big return pump so on this 200L a 6500L return pump.

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Read this about the return pump...

7. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

8. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Why would you say the LED's aren't effective? Is it only for SPS corals or for the entire spectrum? The entire idea of the LED is just to test how they work on a reef tank, just because they are more cost effective and they last longer. I don't want to overdo the backflow of the tank. The idea is to amke it the most cost effective tank possible, not just for me but for a newby wanting to start a tank (even if he only wants a nemo) but don't have the money.

9. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Recent Posts