The LFS fish procurement process

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RocketRooster, 23 Jan 2013.

1. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

So I was standing in a LFS the other day as they were busy unpacking a new shipment of critters, and I was wondering how it all works.

Can any reps here shed some light on how the whole process works, from how the livestock is bred/captured, ordered by the LFS, shipped, etc?

Does the LFS place specific orders or is it a lucky packet, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

P.S We don't need another discussion on LFS practices and pricing etc. I just want to know more about how the international trade in livestock works from start to end. Thanks!

P.P.S (And no, I don't want to start my own LFS, got enough shit with one tank as it is already!)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

oh fork.. i envisage this thread not going the way you intend..

4. Nur

Nur Starz

To answer the question, i know that LFS's place an order for specific LS. But in the most cases when i was there when they unpack they only receive up to 70% of what was ordered and the rest is filler items like damsel and clowns or the cheaper variety of LS to fill the boxes. The LFS still has to pay for the "Filler" items that is put into the boxes and in some cases gets skrewed over with shipping especially if they get larger LS than what was ordered as what happend a week or so ago to @Andre@ReefAquatics. Larger LS larger bags with larger quantity of water. I've seen as of late suppliers add carbon into the bag as well but that is benificial for us the consumer at the end of the day (better water quality for a longer period in the bag).

Nevermind the dead on arivals (DOA) that add to the cost of the shipment. Even if a LFS can leverage a partial refund on the DOA's they still would have paid in full for the shipping and customs for something they cannot sell.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

basically you are furnished a list from the export region by the local SA agent....

you place your order according to species and size, 9 /10 they will not have your full order so alot of stuff is substituted

keep in mind that your understanding of the latin name and theirs not forgetting the language barrier (they compile the list) can lead to some generics being sent..

a common problem is damsels for chromis, pagenelle for gramma etc etc...

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

It's hard work, I used to do it, many years back, when I had hair and wasn't as good looking.:p

7. RocketRooster

RocketRooster Thread Starter

Please tell me more about the breeding/collecting aspect of it.

8. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

So what you saying this business causes hair loss and wrinkles:p. Oh well there goes starting up a marine shop :lol:

9. verniedlx

verniedlx

And if some of your fish magically die after being fine for a few weeks /months this may be the cause.

Wikimedia Error

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
  10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

lol a marine concern is hard work, it requires 365 attendance from the owner, i remember going in to check on fish on sundays (the lfs i worked at doesnt operate on sundays) it was hectic..

late nights unpacking fish due to delayed flights and its a weekly affair..

i take my hat off to lfs owners who can keep up with the pace!

11. RocketRooster

That is a really disturbing article. Makes me never want to buy any new livestock:thumbdown:.

12. verniedlx

verniedlx

You asked....

13. RocketRooster

Nah it's all good, forewarned is forearmed. Here is one related LFS question I'd like some sort of answers to: Do customers have the right to demand to see the region of origin of the livestock?

For instance, if the harvesting practice in the Philipines puts you off (it does me), and you wish to boycott any livestock from that region, how do you go about doing this? It's not like the fish is carrying a passport in the LFS DT.

14. Nur

Nur Starz

No need to demand, they will tell you. Most of the time like you see on MASA the sponsors advertise new shipments that came in and state the origin.

15. RocketRooster

What I'm really getting at is can the LFS prove that a certain fish came from a specific region?

16. verniedlx

verniedlx

Pretty damn impossible unless you go there yourself to catch...

17. Nur

Nur Starz

It may get a bit tricky if they get multiple shipments in on the same day or a day apart. But they should be able to confirm by checking the invoices. and if a fish is from an old shipment its better to buy that fish IMO coz he'll be eating and much less stress than the recently arrived ones (will be in the clear as per the article mentionioning an average of 2 weeks of life after the cyanide or something like that).

18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Some fish only come from certain places, get to know your species and you'll be able to tell.

19. Nur

Nur Starz

Remember LFS's in most cases receive stock from an importer who is the "middle man" in the supply chain ie. Supplier (in the country of origin), Importer (SA based) and the LFS. So in that model if the Importer says its from a certain region and misinformed the LFS. The LFS only knows what he was informed. BUT there are some tell tale differences in some LS like YT from Hawaii and Indonesia has a slight diff.

In the other model, where the LFS orders directly from supplier in various countries and it gets delivered directly or at least to the Airport, that LFS will know exactly which country it is from.

Then again, i know what i get told and what i see at various LFS's. I do not have experience like others.

20. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Certain place do that, as MAC suppliers gets a MAC certificate with every fish(yet to be seen) ... I once questioned a MAC supplier about seeing the certificates and got many long stories, let's just say "they are no longer in business" .... But as nur said ,and perfect example is Sams aquariums ...they have a poster on there wall with all difernt placve the stock comes from and dates of arrival... So you know way before hand what to expect

21. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

@RocketRooster . If every LFS has2 be to the point specific about origin of every individual fish then hey, I say we giving them extra work :lol: already the people was talking bout lfs's ripping us off,so pay attention to the advertisements and you will know what is what, simple as that:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts