the incredible hulk

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dv8, 17 May 2009.

1. dv8

dv8

it's big it's green!!!!!:biggrin: noooo, it's not cabage. i got my first culture of phyto plancton (nanocloropsi). got it from a cool dude in george. got some realy good advice from him too.

i'm using 2L O.B. (old brown) bottles, i prefer the glass as i can use boiling water to steralise and a plastic bottle would melt. water was super green so i split the cultur imediately. using seagro plant food as the ferteliser.

i also was lucky enough to get some rotifer

not had a chance to take any pics yet, i will, soooon. just hang in there. will keep you all posted. t taa for now:wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AWESOME man! Where's the pics?

4. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

5. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i think i may be doing something wrong here, could anyone help? light stays on 16 hours, off 8. when i split i used 20 drops of seagro fertalizer. SG at 20 the one bottle look realy clear, me thinking thats bad.[​IMG]

6. Renier

Renier

ok which one?
    give me a pic from the front so I can see the colour.

7. Renier

Renier

ok now I see.
    how long do you leave them before you split them?
    and whats your light period?
    how far do they stand from the light.(might be to close I get the same algae on the side when they placed to close to the light)
    is it just the one bottle thats crashing or all off them?
    maybe try using another fertilizer I have a funny feeling it might be the seagro
    If its just one dont worry it happens from time to time.

8. Renier

Renier

Oh and I notice your light seems to be quite high I run my lights about 50 mm higher than the base off my bottle. So that light enters from the side, airflow will create enough circulation exposing each algae cell to its fair share of flight. Light from the top reflects off the bottle and don’t really penetrate.
    Oh and give the bottles a good shake everyday or so to bring the settled algae back into suspension

9. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

the light is about 20cm away from the bottles, as is on the side view on the top pic, i do give it a realy good shake every day. i'm also wondering about the water i got from the oceanarium, i'm a bit worried it not clean enough. should i move the light closer? i'm using a white light, 40 whatts

10. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    the two bottles on the far left have rotifer in but the water is still quite green. the other 4 bottles have phyto. they seem to be getting less green instead of darker. do i ad more fertiliser?

11. Renier

Renier

Yeah dude move it to about 5cm away or three fingers.40whatts is fine although I use the double tube fittings. And try and move the light a bit lower to about 50 mm above base of the bottle. Use a 16on 8 off light periods (timer) 24 hours will also work but I just found the 16on8off to work faster. Cells photosynthesize with light and divides (grows) with dark.

viper357 likes this.
  12. Renier

Renier

How much did you add already?
    And how long ago did you split them?
    They will crash if you don’t split them when they get as green as the cultures I gave you

13. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i used 20 drops, not added any more yet. split them 2 days ago, second time i split them. guess i split too soon? hopefully some will recover. i'll move the light closer tomorrow. i have the timer set as you recomendid. was doing that from the start

14. Renier

Renier

The ones the rots are in probably stayed green because the phyto reproduces just as fast as the rotifers can eat. Maybe get a bucket (25l) add one off the rotifer bottles. Dilute with water off the same temp and sg. And take it away from the light.
    Rotifers don’t need light to reproduce and in fact rots do better in the dark. you can drop your sg slowly over a day or so and add a heater set to 25 deg. this will speed up rotifer production. Just to make it clear I use this method when I’m short on rotifer. by letting the rots become too dense will lead to water quality problems which will inevitably lead to a crash so do it for a weak then take out the heater when you can see the rots, or phyto clearing . Then slowly start harvesting on a daily basis replacing the water with new water and fresh phyto. be careful not to over harvest until you get a feel for their density

15. Renier

Renier

2 days 3 days sometimes even seven all depends. To me it really depends on the colour. I place my light behind my cultures as soon as I can’t see the light through my cultures then it’s time to harvest. Nice and dark green. If and when you have enough phyto let one run through until it crashes this will help you recognize the phases of growth. Like I said before once the algae reaches a phase of exponential growth harvesting can easily be needed every second day.

16. Renier

Renier

No if you already added fertilizer don’t add more.

17. Renier

Renier

One more thing gets some rubber stoppers to plug the bottles leaving only a small hole for the air to vent. I’ll put some pics up tomorrow so you can see how mine looks.

18. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Fantastic!

19. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i moved the light behind the bottles as sugested, 5cm away, and 5cm high from the bottom of the bottle. it seems that the two have crashed and two are o k. the rotifer seem to be clearing the phyto. so hopefully i will be able to keep up with the phyto. i'm going to put some rotifer into the fridge to have a backup just in case. i will also add new pics as things progress. i will try to find some rubber stoppers. perhaps at a chemist?

20. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

things really not looking good. is it possible for the phyto to bounce back? is there any way to filter out the remaining surviving phyto out of the crashing cultures?i'll post pics of how it looks now.

21. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

Recent Posts