The importance of Quarantine

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PietL, 25 Feb 2016.

1. PietL

PietL

Hi Reefers

The mods and experienced reefers must please add to this and correct me where I am wrong, but I would like to stress the importance of quarantine for beginners, like myself, even for small tanks.

I’ve had my nano for about a year now and thought I would share my experience regarding quarantine. When I first researched before starting my tank I learned a lot, but somehow everything I read about starting a tank did not focus a whole lot on the importance of quarantine. I read a bit about quarantine, but always thought it was more for the bigger tanks with a whole lot of expensive stuff. Boy was I wrong!

No matter how small your tank is, you must have a quarantine tank! I’ve recently added a new fish to my tank that developed ich, and only then set up a quarantine tank (used an old tropical tank I had for my kids). Sadly, I lost that fish as well as one of my other fish, after moving them to the quarantine tank (you cannot treat sick fish in your main tank, as most medications will kill you invertebrates). I think the stress from chasing them around my main tank to try and catch them did more harm than the illness itself. It is definitely not a nice feeling loosing fish and even worse when knowing you could have probably prevented it. Had I put the new fish in quarantine first, he would have probably survived and not infected any other tank mates. Even if you buy from a reputable LFS it does not guarantee that the fish will be disease free. My new fish looked healthy in the LFS and only started to show signs of the illness after the stress of adding it to my tank (just to be clear, I have no hard feelings towards the LFS - I did not follow the proper procedure and paid the price).

NEVER add new fish directly to your main tank.

There is a whole lot of excellent information on the forum regarding quarantine and treating sick fish, so read up on it and get a quarantine tank set up. It does not have to be expensive, but adding a sick fish to your main tank can end up costing you a lot!

I still have a lot to learn about quarantine and illness, but at least now I now that it should be done. Hopefully this can help other reefers avoid the same mistake I made.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Amen!

Think about it the other way around. You are not quarantining the new fish to ensure that it is not sick.
    You are quarantining the new fish not to infect the fish you already have.

That means, even the cheapest most common little fish, must be quarantined. Always treat all new purchases as fish that do have whitespot on them. Does not matter if fish comes from the LFS or from a fellow reefer.

4. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

How long should you keep the fish in quarantine ?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

minimum 6 weeks

r0ckf1re likes this.
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

since last symptoms

7. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

New fish, as in just bought and uncertain about health.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

all new fish, even if you think you are sure about their health.

Recent Posts