The grim reaper [Aiptasia!] and bubbles

Reaction score
Hey all!

So my prized anemone's became toast - courtesy of a vinegar injection - thought they were cute, but have already about 10 babies of them randomly in the tank - got a feeling this is going to be a problem in the long run?

Then I've got some brown growth in my tank [diatoms or something like that it's apparently called] with quite a lot of bubbles forming and when the circulation pump goes off, there's an extreme uprise in bubbles from the deadrock to the surface... is this normal?

My water also appears a bit cloudy - one can see foreign debris in the water, but I haven't been able to filter it out using my skimmer... any ideas?

T :thumbup:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Tinus how old is your system?
As far as clearing your water up use Activated Carbon, works wonders.

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Well it's prob about 3 weeks old now - so I think the cycling has hit a peak - going to have a look at the NO2 and NO3 levels just now, and probably do a 10% water change again. The cloudiness is from foreign debris - don't know what it is tho - Activated Carbon won't take that out, will it?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Tinus - you can try using what they call a "filter sock" or perhaps some filter sponges (temporarily) to remove "debris" particles in the water. This will also clear out your tank's water quite well. Just remember - this is only TEMPORARY - you will HAVE to remove the sponge after at most 48 to 72 hours (2 to 3 days)...

Reaction score
Hey all! yeah doing that at the moment - working wonders :) At least the diatoms has almost all been eaten by my turbo snails :)

Reaction score
heya all! Well, water is much clearer now, with tonnes of life everywhere! There are pods, small worms, etc. etc. etc. everywhere :) even my Xenia is growing! And no more cloudy water, nor bubbles from the diatoms :)