The Gem Tang thread

Reaction score
Beautiful fish and currently full up along the coast with 3 having come out in East london this weekend!

Post pics of your Gem Tang and your pursuit to catch it!

Picture not mine but was sent on whatsapp of one of the 3 caught!

Attachments

Last edited:

PsyXe

African fancy gumdrop coral croucher
Reaction score
Oh wow, that makes me envy you coastal okes even more than I do normally :dft004:

Reaction score
This really has been a strange season, happy for the EL okes though catching a gem is a real prize. Down south here though the season has been sh!t, the only things around were marleyi, sergeant majors and a couple of cut ribbon wrasse.

Reaction score
Catches have been good here, alot if moorish, hennues, kleinii, Maddie, unimacs, surgeons etc .

Rivers have been crystal clear, water 25deg.. I can't even dive in a wetsuit its just too warm.. I suspect with the gale east that came up yesterday prevailed today and continuing till Thursday were in for full suits and booties etc when we are able to next have a west (thurs/fri) I'm thinking many fish will be pushed into the rockpools due to the temp drop..

Could be a productive week!

Reaction score
This was my local (transkei caught) gem tang in 2018 I think..

Attachments

Reaction score
Catches have been good here, alot if moorish, hennues, kleinii, Maddie, unimacs, surgeons etc .

Rivers have been crystal clear, water 25deg.. I can't even dive in a wetsuit its just too warm.. I suspect with the gale east that came up yesterday prevailed today and continuing till Thursday were in for full suits and booties etc when we are able to next have a west (thurs/fri) I'm thinking many fish will be pushed into the rockpools due to the temp drop..

Could be a productive week!
Nice, sounds like you guys are having a good season that side. Saw my first glimmer of hope this side yesterday a dussumieri tang, didn't bother catching since it will quickly outgrow any tank. But it is a good sign that the fish might still be moving down this side south.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Went down to the pools today, saw over 3000 pufferfish stuck in the shallows!

Alongside redfish (pangas)!

Rockpools were crazy busy!

But no gem tangs today!

Top Bottom