The five worst mistakes you've made while reefkeeping?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RocketRooster, 27 Feb 2013.

1. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

And what lessons did you learn? I'm sure the old hands at this game have a couple of stories to tell!

I added a big bunch of Caulerpa to my sump, and I was pondering whether I would end up rueing the day. And lo! A thread was born!

I have not made many serious mistakes (yet), but my list is growing:

1. I should have bargained on my tank buy. I was overeager and could probably have saved a couple of grand. Not really a mistake as such, but something that pokes out under the lens of hindsight.

2. I should not have added the substrate immediately when setting up the tank. I thought the quicker I got everything back into the water, the quicker it would settle down. Instead, it's likely that it's a factor with my param issues. I had a golden opp to scrub the shit out of it (literally), but didn't.

3. Completely at odds with my character, I made an impulse buy in a lfs with only a token effort at fact finding (and was rewarded with incorrect info to boot). The result was wasted money and effort and finding a new home for a reef-unsafe critter.

4. Buying cheap T5's. They are great when cold, a pile of kak when hot. Luckily my lighting requirements aren't too hectic, but I'd rather replace one at a time than two for the same price. Lesson learnt!!

5. Hoping that it will stay at four mistakes!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

LOL, wait till you are in the marine game for a couple years... You will literaly be able to write a book with mistakes...
    Marine tank keeping is probably one of the most extensive learning schools ive ever had to go through before is started getting it right, & i still make some mistakes.
    The only difference now is... My mistakes doesnt cost me as much money anymore...

4. RocketRooster

RocketRooster Thread Starter

Well let's hear it then!

(what happens in Vegas thread stays in Vegas - until the next reef meet when everyone will be taking the piss, of course :D)

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

1.) Listening to advice at LFS...

2.) Buying a cheap pump which did not stipulate "for use in salt water"

3.) Sticking my hand in a tank knowing there was stray voltage

4.) Selling frags to people who had no clue

5.) Not chiming in to correct a newbie being led astray at an LFS..... Watching them leave with livestock destined to die.... Nowadays, I dont keep quiet.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2013
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I will give one big mistake...
    When i started my first tank, i ran it with a stupid hang on back filters and a completely undersized hang on skimmer for about 2 months until i decided i hated the look of the pipes in the tank & to drill the tank & add a C/C overflow.
    I lowered my water level low enough to glue a overflow piece of glass, which went great!
    I left it that way for a week to let the silicone dry & then off to drilling...
    Drilling the hole went flawless... Until it went right through the glass & the drill chuck hit the glass pane, cracked the whole pane & i spilled 250 liters of water on my living room carpet & had to keep my fish in buckets for another 2 months till i got a new tank...

7. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Things should not be seen as mistakes, it is learning curves. :)

My biggest lesson was taught to my by my fish... Keep my hands out of my tank...:whistling:

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

LOL, what fist was that? A trigger?

9. RocketRooster

I'd call that an accident, Visser. :)

Ivan, the thread the other day about the starfish for the little sister got my goat a little bit. Everybody else was being helpful, whereas I was being a naysayer. Perhaps I'm too cautious by nature, but I was picturing a box of vrot water and a dead starfish, so I know what you mean!

There's a difference between wanting a starfish and wanting a marine tank with a starfish on the inside and patience and discipline on the outside.

All I can say is, thank Cthulhu for websites like this one and the peeps who skive off company time to make it great!

10. RocketRooster

What happened, Gesiggie? Fess up!

11. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Sadly, no... an Ocellaris Clown female...:blush:

What happened, Gesiggie? Fess up! :
    I liked to tinker in my tank, always moving things around. My momma clown did not appreciate it. She drew blood on occasion... I then disliked putting my hands in the tank, and "by miracle" Things looked much better.... No more sulking, and all inmates always fully extended... I have changed the breeding pair since, but still maintain a hands-out policy. Except feeding time, getting the new clown pair to feed from my hand.. That is AWESOME

Last edited: 27 Feb 2013
  12. Dave F

Dave F

I was cleaning my tank the other day and felt something thump against my hand, I discovered my one clown was "attacking" me. Is this normal? Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread, just thought I could ask because of gessigie's post.

13. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Totally normal.. They even do it on reefs in nature...

14. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

LOL, Accident... Yes it was.
    But as your heading states, it was also a major MISTAKE by not reading up on how to drill a tank...

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

LOL, yeah, they sometimes got a heart of a lion...
    My larger ocelaris is the most peaceful fish ive ever seen, but my small male can be a bastard sometimes. Just last week, he bit me so hard, i thought it was one of the hermits nibbling on my finger...

16. Henkie

Henkie

Listing to advice from one of our lfs was the worst time I have done.

But one learns from ones mistakes and we can always call on fellow reefers for guidance and advice

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Worst mistake I ever made...

Was to get involved in this hobby...

But then again, it was also the best mistake I ever made.

Junior likes this.
  18. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Not having a tank up and running yet! Moving to pta mid april. Then i can grt the ball roling. Have too scout for a setup then

19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I never fell into the bad advice from lfs, but I have heard some gems over the years

My biggest mistake is complicating things, followed by not listening to my gut

Also believing reactors are a cure all and needed, or should I say solving a problem without knowing the cause

20. RocketRooster

Sometimes you have to complicate things to make things simple, though.

I am a rather cynical fellow and rarely trust people with a double agenda such as lfs staff trying to sell you livestock.

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Well should always go armed with knowledge, never been sold anything I didn't know 100% about, but that's my nature

Recent Posts