The final step... I hope ....

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Smithers, 14 Aug 2014.

1. Smithers

Smithers

After starting up again a few years back I've been through a series of upgrades and have gone from a 60cm tank to a 1m then a 1.8 and now it seems I'm going backwards again.
    Each tank has been great and each one has had their downfalls. So now I'm hopefully going to get my final tank for the next few years.

I'm moving to a new house and needed to downgrade in terms of size. I wanted something neat, compact, minimalist and most importantly quiet. So with that in mind I started looking around. I decided on an AIO (All in one) unit. There are a few on the market and the options I had were a Juwel, Red Sea, custom built or an Innovative marine.

I decided on an innovative marine SR80 for a few reasons
    1. Tank is 12 mm starfire glass
    2. Build quality
    3. Features (dual pump , light screen cover to stop carpet surfing fish)

Now that I knew what tank I was getting the choice for skimmers came up. I needed something efficient and quiet. There were two contenders Tunze 9004 or the Hydor slim skim 250. I've settled on the Hydor as I have a Tunze in my corner tank. For a small skimmer the 9004 is really good and quiet but I felt like trying something new.

Lighting will be done by two radions that I already have. Ecotech is bringing out a RMS (radion mounting system) either late August or early September. The RMS is essentially a clamp that fits on to the back of the tank with a curved arm to hold the radion. It looks neat and tidy and fits nicely with the tank. I could have gone with a ceiling mount but that is limiting in terms of placing the tank. I'm going to change the TIR lenses to the 120 degree versions as the tank is shallow. I'm also hoping to get a reef link for the radions.

Flow will be provided by two 6095 tunzes with a controller. I thought about using the mp40's on this but it really would have been too much. There are pros and cons to each pump but I wanted something silent and Tunze wins that hands down

The last bit of equipment on my list is a dosing unit. I've never had one before and I think I found what I wanted. The pacific sun 5TH offers a feature packed bang for buck option. Doser, ATU , digital thermometer and best of all is Bluetooth enabled so I can fine tune my dosing.

Selecting the livestock I wanted to keep was hard. Most probably harder than selling the tank. In the end I've decided to go with my zoas and a few LPS.
    Im keeping a few of the fish I think are the nicest in my tank. Purple tang, yellow tang, Bangaii cardinals and a few wrasse.

This is a long read but there will be pictures soon :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JS

JS

Sounds good....Looking forward to following progress....are you sure the Kore 5th doser has digital thermometer? I was going to get one...in fact had it for a couple of days...cant recall seeing a temp probe nor it displayed anywhere..also the atu unit on the standard model is really flimsy and basic...rather go for the optical sensor on the pro model....in the end i decided to not take the doser still too many software glitches being fixed etc....maybe in a year or so ill get one...

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Great selection for the new tank!

Best of luck, and remember pics lots of pics!

5. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

Dosing stations - Pacific Sun Aquarium LED Lighting
    Double checked it there is a temp probe. I was looking at the pro for the optical sensor.
    Normally the glitches are with the software and I see they are on version 1.3

Thanks for the heads up though I will do some more research just in case :thumbup:

6. JS

JS

LOL...just spoke to the person I was going to get it from...he confimred he slipped up....forgot to put the probe back in box when he checked it....:whistling:

Also, if you want to get the Pro model, email Yorgos Gregory, at pacific sun USA yourself....he has extra stock of the black pro models, and hell give you shipping @ $30. Also, dosing pumps have 0% duty (can forward you the tarif heading code), you will only be charged vat.

Works out a lot cheaper than the buying it local and he even assured me that if anything goes wrong with a pump etc, he will organise that it gets sorted locally or send one out...:thumbup:

7. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

Whoop Whoop tanks arrived :):biggrin:

8. JS

JS

Pics or it did not hapen! :p

9. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

Well I am at work and the tank is at home, time is passing slower than ever. Also the replacement fans for my radions have also arrived. So I will be doing the @RiaanP Radion Mod tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

cool. Just be careful with that ribbon cable. Do not tear it.

11. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Riaan.

12. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

So after a bit of effort the tank was filled. I took water out my existing tank to fill it. That seems easy enough, but no it wasn't. I had to do it in stages as I did not have enough space to make the water and I did not want to shock my tank with a sudden excess of clean water.

[​IMG]

I then siphoned the aragonite from the current tank (dirt and all) and dumped that directly in to the new tank and added some rock from my sump
    [​IMG]

Added a seio to stir up the mess I created.
    [​IMG]

I added more small pieces of rock from my sump, I did not realise the amount of pods these rocks must have had. Turned the lights on this morning and it was attack of the fish moth sized critters. This rock is just a temp measure, I will moving decent sized pieces in over the weekend.

[​IMG]

There is a bit of a brown diatom on the gravel but I suspect that is from the dirt that may have been in it. I am going to add a bit of bacteria to the tank to help it along but I really don't think there will be a long cycle period.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2014
  13. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I like these IM tanks. Tagging this one

14. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

A terrific tank sir. Well done!

17. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Awesome Stuff

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nicely done. :thumbup::thumbup:

19. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Wow....awesome stuff....looking great....im guessing the vortechs n tunzes were too strong for this tank....werd all ur sticks go...

20. CheriS

CheriS

Really beautiful :m106:

21. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

How many anemones do u have in here?

Recent Posts