the DIY tank build assistance thread

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
For those of you wanting to attempt to take on your own builds, id like to extend my help in correctly sizing your glass thickness for your system and assisting in cutting measurements ,

if you should need assistance please pop the following into a comment and tag me.

A sketch indicating the following:
  • Intended tank dimentions
  • Overflow box design choice (coast to coast, central box internal or external etc)
  • Rimless or euro braced.
It would also be good to know what lighting you intend to use as coss bracing can cast shaddows with LED for example.

please feel free to add to the list and we can find a working format..

you can also check the suggestion against the calculator for further peace of mind...

Last edited:
Hi
Calculator link not working.
I already have a tank, but maybe you can help me, so I can remove the top braces. I designed the tank 1650 x 450 x 600, and the LFS said ( using a pc formula )that I could use 10mm glass, and wouldnt need bracing, which I didnt want. The night before I was to take delivery, the owner of the LFS informs me he cant let the tank go out without braces as it wont be safe. He put in two braces on the top ( I was furious )..
The tank has a central skinny overflow.
Can I remove the bracing ?
Thanks

There are different ways in which to do bracing. You dont necessarily need to add braces in the middle of the tank from front to back, but it does depend on overall tank dimensions and in particular the width of the tank. Euro bracing is very effective if you have the correct sizing. This will then eliminate the shadows from the lighting unit. On narrow tanks euro bracing might not work as well as you will make the opening at the top even smaller. Cross bracing might be better in this instance as it will give you some areas on top where you have the full width of the tank to work in.

if you could post a pic so that i can see positioning of the overflow i could offer better comment but im inclined to say a general euro brace style would suffice..

Biggest factors affecting the option between bracing or not.

Is water depth.
Glass thickness.

And then things like wavemakers. Big difference if you got a wave going in the tank or not. Pulsing pumps creating waves will put more stress on the opposing side than constant pumps.

How big the impact, I do not know. But if you can see the wave, then you need either bracing or thicker glass.

Tank Design 1500 x 600 x 600 (OD) Peninsula FB .jpg
Tank Design 1500 x 600 x 600 (OD) Peninsula FB 2.jpg
Tank Design 1500 x 600 x 600 (OD) Peninsula FB  3.jpg

Hi guys i know this is an old thread bud, i would like to design build and start my own reef setup.
Have build a few tanks years ago with great success.

This will be a Peninsula style rimless tank used as a room divider, red sea and waterbox are all great tanks but i am not willing to pay 10x for something i CAN build myself.

According to the specs of a few tank manufacturers the size i want to build (1500 x 600 x 600) water level at 540mm i can go with 19mm bottom and 15mm on al 4 sides.
The online Calculator rate this design with a safety factor of 8.1. Any one with experience on this please let me know if this would be acceptable.

Regards,

Geo

Back
Top Bottom