The chronicles Ric

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Seabass, 30 Jul 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

1 July 2011. This will be my log of what happens when i frag my favorite rics. So I finally took the plunge, fraged my lumo green ric and a red/orange ric I traded for.

I had fraged a red ric/orange that I traded for a lumo green and a red Monti cap. This was done on the 28 June 2011. Cut this one into 4 pieces as I was very skeptical about fraging a ric, have had limited success with my red shrooms. So I checked how it was doing and to my pleasant surprise found 6 red/orange rics growing on 1 July 2011. This is what spurred me on to take the knife to my green ric on 1 July 2011.

Pics of my frag tools and other bits and pieces required.

[​IMG]

Have had the lumo green ric in my tank for about 4 months and got impatient as it was not splitting. It was about 4 cm in diameter before the cutting started.

This is what it looked like in full glory (4 cm in diameter)

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like after a introduction to mr scalpel from NipTuck (1/2 cm in diameter).

[​IMG]

This is a brother of the red/orange ric in full glory.

[​IMG]

I did a number of cuts, probably 15 pieces at least to the lumo green ric. Also just on a side note, not sure if the individual bubbles will develop. Had about 5 of these sitting separately on the cutting board and added them to the grow out tray. If they survive then rics are bullet proof.

The red one was then also cut up even further into another 10 pieces I guess.

Will be happy if some do survive. Hope all survive.

I placed the green ones on one side and the red ones on the other side, or at least I tried to. Pics, the green ones are easy to see, can see 10 of them from the best pic I took of the lumo green ones, but the red/orange I can only see 4 pieces. Please note that I realize the pics are not great, the frags are tiny, but heck if they end up like mum ric, then you will clearly be able to see.

[​IMG]

Back in they go:

[​IMG]

I also have a blue one, but this has only been in my tank for a month. It has attached nicely to a pice of rubble. If it is doing well in about 3 months time I will frag it.

crispin likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

13 july 2011
    So after 13 days, my curiosity got the better of me, I had a look to see if anything had survived, I was pleasantly surprised to find 14 green and 8 orange red frags still going strong.

On the left are the 14 green ones and on the right the 8 red ones. All are tiny but should they survive then that will be flipping marvelous. From +\- 25 frags, I am left with 22. Sorry about the pics.

[​IMG]

Going to make some place on the substrate this weekend to improve lighting and promote growth hopefully.

This is lumo green mum 13 days later, nice to see the new growth on both sides of her, after the cut there was nothing on the sides of the mouth of the lumo green ric.

[​IMG]

Rinsed the rubble and back in they went.

[​IMG]

Closed up again and ready to enter the tank.

Must be disciplined not to look again before month end.

4. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

30 July 2011

Made it to month end.

Survival rate, 20 out of +/- 25 I started with on 1 July 2011, orange ones a bit earlier.

1 month in, I decided to change the rubble thinking the rics are just not attaching to my crushed coral I was using. But I am wrong, found 20 of the 22 (14 green and 8 red reported as above on 13 July 2011) 16 of them have now attached to the crushed coral I was using. Only 4 remain unattached, I fear they suffer from separation issues. Of the remaining 20, it looks like 3 are the red ones and the rest are lumo greens.

In any case I changed the crushed coral for some stone from our LFS.

[​IMG]

This is after replacing with new stones, not clear but if you look carefully you can see some of the rics that have attached to the rubble I was originally using.

[​IMG]

Mom looks like this today, she is looking better.

[​IMG]

Can imagine that I will remove the rics from the nursery in about 3 months time. Hope all goes well.

At this point I feel that it would be advisable to other frag lovers to clean the rubble on a weekly basis. I feel that leaving all old uneaten food in the nursery will cause problems. It also gives you the opportunity to turn some of the rics around that have now attached to the underside of a bit of rubble.

For those that follow I will update occasionally. I am doing this to show what has worked for me so far in an attempt to get ppl over the fear of fragging that one prized ric you have and then distributing among other reefers or just building up your own collection.

Just to bad that all the rics have not made it. :(

5. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

i think its time i sliced and diced a few of mine..

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i think so too, remember to share with those close by 1st, u never know when u will need us:whistling:

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

And you know sharing IS caring right, so gonna send me some when you frag mahahaha

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im in the same town guess that puts me 1st in line :tt2:. jokes..

9. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

ya my car is looking a bit dirty... lol
    just jokes dude. I'll let u and @Tremayn know..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

@ seabass did u cut through the mouth like countless other threads say u should? or did u just go Freddy Kruger on them?

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

whoo hoooooo

12. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

@ Loki, it was Freddy:hammer::014:, did not cut the mouth.

13. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Been about 2 months and I had not really had a chance to see what is going on in the grow out tub, so I have moved them into the DT. Most are very small, about 8 of the remaining 15 look like rics. The others I dont know if they will make it, holding thumbs.

[​IMG]
    Pic of mother today, lumo green.

[​IMG]
    8 lumo green ones left over, only about 3 of them look like a ric, the other 5 are still just specks. Only one is visible, top right of pic.

[​IMG]
    5 orange ones have made it, they all look like rics and are not just specks.
    4 are clearly visible, the other one is just shy.

Cheers

14. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

i have a few spares that i'm gonna try with as well..
    wish me luck..

15. Evo R

Evo R

LOL good luck :thumbup:

16. crispin

crispin

lovely thread to read through, thanks fpor sharing and updating :)

17. mytank

mytank

@Seabass whats the full name of this coral (newbie alert)

18. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

19. mytank

mytank

20. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Great Thread Seabass

Just one question. What have you found is the best way to frag a ric.shroom. Do you always have to have a piece of the mouth in the individual cut. Is it better to frag in 2, 4 or 8 interms of survival

Thanks

21. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

This is my first attempt, from what I have done I think it is better to cut a few large pieces off the mother rather than into 8 pieces.

But Adee suggested you place the ric on a rock in strong flow, ric will move and leave pieces behind, this is probably the safest method. I only found out about it last night but this morning one of my yama's started to move and leave a piece of the foot behind, another Yama should now grow from the piece left behind.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts