The chicken or the egg (calcium or alkalinity) what is first

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Don't think it really matters. Do the one that's worst first... As for pH I have never ever adjusted pH directly, pH is like a side effect of other parameters to me. Adjust the alk and calcium to the correct levels and then figure out a maintenance dose and then maybe worry about the pH.

Reaction score

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Thalion, how does your calcium reactor work that you don't have to worry about alkalinity and calcium? I was under the impression that all they did was dose balanced supplement at a constant rate? I've never fully understood all these reactors, I must confess.

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Trying to kep it simple, the nano already looks like an ICU with all the pipes and wires some in and out of it.
For a nano, you should not need one, but a Ca RX does help simple.:razz:

Thalion, how does your calcium reactor work that you don't have to worry about alkalinity and calcium? I was under the impression that all they did was dose balanced supplement at a constant rate? I've never fully understood all these reactors, I must confess.
You said it "dose balanced supplement at constant rate", you don't have to worry about Alk, Ca & magnesium. When things are set up you don't have to worry about them, just test for them now and again to make sure things are fine.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Hmmm looking back at my post now I realise it may have been somewhat misleading. If you calcium and alk are both really low you must put in a little bit of alk, then a bit of Ca, then a bit of alk, then a bit of Ca etc. By doing one first I meant do the first dose of that one first, not take Ca from 100 to 400ppm in one go!

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
A calcium reactor will dose at a balanced rate, ie. both at the same time and in the right proportions. However you do still have to fiddle with it quite a bit to make it dose at the same rate your tank uses ca/alk and possibly magnesium.