The case of my tank

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by wringo, 14 May 2009.

1. wringo

wringo

HI guys
    My tank age now 50
    My test
    Amonia: 0 : .5ml
    nitrite:0
    natrat : 10ml
    I have sump with consiter filter+ sikmmer wepro
    my tanke 150*50*6* = 450 liter
    sump 80*40*35 with porous Rocks but not live
    i dont have any live rocks in my tanke or my sump until now
    in the last 25 days i add:
    one animuna
    2 sohayl fish
    1 blue tang
    2 clown fish
    5 some kinds of fish between 1 : 1.5 inc
    even now i dont have any proplem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 May 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

i want to add angle fish can i do that or will be doomed to death?
    All my fish from red sea
    [​IMG]

4. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

oooooh no. please see my updated response below...

6. Jaco Schoeman

Sorry... Wait a second... Your tank after 42 days???? I thought when you said age was 50, I though a typing error and it was about 5 months!!!

Woooo a bit there wringo... IMHO your tank is way too immature to have most of your fish, not even speaking of the anemone!!! :nono:

My advice is to get someone to hold onto those fish of yours for a while, and that anemone. Your tank must be mature to keep the nennie. What lights do you have? The Nennie looks like a Heteractis Crispa. They require PLENTY light!!!

7. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

yes man 50 days not 50 weeks

8. Renannchen

Renannchen

9. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

i have 2 lamp Day light =26000 K
    1 geluroxy light
    1 moon light lamp
    that mean jaco my fish will die

10. Franske

Franske

I would sugest that you post more pics of your tank and equipment aswell as specs,agreed that most of those fish or any fish wil strugle in a tank at such a imature stage

11. Jaco Schoeman

Dont want to be a dooms prophet, but yes, they might... UNLESS... You let someone hold them for you (in a mature stable tank) for a while.

Let me try and explain what happens in the first few months after setting up a tank.

You get the tank, fill it up, put in the live rock and start cycling. Inside this rock you have little animals dying, and they then give off ammonia. Amonia kills... Thus, within a while, bacteria forms to "eat" the amonia. These bacteria then makes a pooh, and that pooh is Nitrite. Then another type of bacteria comes to eat the Nitrite, but they pooh Nitrates. Another bacteria then needs to form to eat this nitrates, and they in return pooh amonia oxide... So the process goes in a circle...

This all happens only after about three weeks, then the bacteria inside the tank can cope with the "bio load" (pooh.) The moment you introduce anything else, there is more pooh, thus those bacteria need to multiply to cope. If you don't give them enough chance to cope, they bio load just gets more and more, and your water becomes poison to the coral and fish - thus they die...

For this reason, this hobby needs to be taken VERY VERY VERY slow... You have not seen any ill effects yet, cause the tank is fairly new... But you need to give the bacteria chance to grow first before you can add anything. Take out those fish and corals if you want to let it live... Give it at least 6 weeks before adding something. After adding something, wait another week or so, before adding enything else...:biggrin:

12. Jaco Schoeman

Another thing... That Anemone... Please give it to someone that can keep it. They require the best of best water conditions and care. Also remember, Anemone's are like nuclear missiles burried under ground. One mistake, and your whole tank dies!!! If an anemone dies, or gets sucked into a powerhead, thats it for all the inhabitants.

Those lights you have also sound way too little for anemone's. Please supply further wattage, type etc on lights...

Sorry to just be throwing negativity towards you, but these are the facts, I can't tie a nice red ribbon on it, cause you will loose at the end of the day. Lets make this right for you!! ;)

13. crispin

crispin

wringo i am afraid you seem to be going about things the wrong way. Jaco has explained in nice simple terms what were refer to cycles and i am afraid your tank really is too younge for the inhabitants you have.

Also not having any LR in there means that its unlikley the corral skeletons you do have in there have any for of biological advantage, well certainly not enough to handle the bio load you are putting in there. Also TWO large Sohail Tangs??? not a good idea.

Nennie.....im not going to get started on this again, i have a reputation for shouting at people who have nennies in tanks that are not right for them, and SIMPLY PUT you need to take that ANENOME OUT. The water quality isnt good enough yet and the lights are inadequate.

Please wingo, you need to listen to our advice carefully. we will do all we can to help you, but you really are going down the wrong path and that always leads to disaster.

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi wringo.

1. You started this thread in the Urgent Help forum but you haven't said what the problem is. What problem are you having with your tank?

2. You said you didn't have any liverock in the tank but now the tank is full of rock. How long has the rock been in the tank?

3. Please do not add any more fish or corals until we have helped you.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Yes Wringo, as Viper and crispin said, it is important to understand we want to help. And by stating things like take out the fish / coral / anemone, trust me, we are helping. It is not that we are saying you can not keep them, we are just saying not now. In due time - if you follow the advice given - your tank will be in excellent condition to keep these animals. ;)

16. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

Ok Guys i will cry

Last edited: 14 May 2009
  17. Jaco Schoeman

No need to cry. We all make mistakes. I also had an anemone when my tank was very young. We just have to fix it - quickly...

18. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

yes i sayed that i dont have any live rock even now that rocks from the sea but i add that after 15 days from getting the sea cuse the tank not run when i pourchasing the rocks

19. Jaco Schoeman

Okey...

Wringo let me explain the function of the different types of rock one can place in your tank.

You have man made rock called base rock. This rock is basically used to fill up the tank and take up space, yet it is not as porious as liverock, thus it is not as effective (will explain below) although it is much cheaper than liverock.

It is best to have live / living rock. Living rock is preserved while transported from the ocean, thus it has all the little animals stil in / on it. It is also very porious and thus it can house those bacteria I referred to previously, to help eat up the amonia, nitrites and nitrates.

BTW: Porious means it has plenty of very very small little holes - almost like a sponge. Water does not really flow through there, and the bacteria found there are all anarobic (oxygen poor) bacteria.

In your tank, you say you took the rock from the sea? Then it seems that everything in / on your rock has died. In time, bacteria will repopulate the rocks, and it will be fine. Liverock is a very important filtration tool, yet any tank at this age is not matured yet, and that filtration needs to build itself up first.

Liverock are also home to animals like bristle stars, copepods, snails etc. all which are there to eat up all the pooh the fish makes, and breaks them up smaller, so that the bacteria can eat it. If your tank is new, the population of these animals are very low, and they do not operate fully. That is why you need to take time.

Again, to fix your tank, you'd need to get rid of the fish (for now) and the corals. let the bacteria and little animals settle down first.

20. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Best remove a lot of the rock as it is not ideal and is preventing your fish swimming space. Add live rock rather, best before you added fish but better late than never.
    Btw, crying wont help :)

21. wringo

wringo Thread Starter

HI Guys:
    Thanks thanks thanks
    i got some of live rock but i cant transfear my
    fish now the one solution now the exprince with
    some
    also test now(sera test)
    ammonia : 0
    netrit:0
    nitrate:10 ml