The Bubble Magus skimmer clan

Reaction score
ps. I just took the cup off to see what happens.
With the cup on those bubbles don't rise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IMG_1705.jpg

Reaction score
@traut

For me personally I think that skimmer is to small for your system. Curve 5 is rated for 140gallons which equates roughly to 450L. You should be running a Curve 9 which is close to twice your system's capacity.

What is your return pump size?

Reaction score
Ok, this is just my view. You are running 4000l/h through your sump and your skimmer can only do 1000l per hour. Your bio-load with 7 fish is not very high so your skimmer would not work hard or pull out a lot of gunk anyway. I like the skimmer capacity to match the through flow of water through the sump to properly work to its full capacity. This will give your skimmer time to skim a lot more water otherwise the water is just rushing past your skimmer back into the tank and the cycle repeats itself.

I'm running a 4000l/h return and my skimmer pump is 3500l/h. (Upgrading soon). Even with this I get about half a cm of gunk a week with a bio-load of 7 fish in a 750l system.

Not saying this is the issue because you said the skimmer worked at one stage (the dissolved organics could have been high and are now lower) but a point for consideration and discussion

Reaction score
Thanks for this Joshua.
I feel it must be something else as it seems to be pulling really good skimmate in the area just below the cup.
The only issue is that it’s not high enough to be trapped in collection cup.

I really want to get to the bottom of this as I don’t want to lose this battle.

If I replace what do you recommend? Any good replacement I should look into?

Thanks

Reaction score
The pic I posted is where the water level was raised to 27cm.
This has made no change unfortunately... seems I'm losing this battle.

I really loved the idea of getting a BM curve but perhaps this is the 1 problem child?

Reaction score
Hi - Is anyone running the nano skimmer Bubble Magus QQ2, or has experience with this skimmer? Considering using it to replace my problematic Hydor slim on my Nano.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
The pic I posted is where the water level was raised to 27cm.
This has made no change unfortunately... seems I'm losing this battle.

I really loved the idea of getting a BM curve but perhaps this is the 1 problem child?

Have you tried taking the pump apart and seeing if there is anything blocking the inlet? Could be that it isn't pulling in enough water. It looks ok with the cup off, can you try taking the skimmer cup lid off? Maybe not enough air is escaping the skimmer cup causing presbubbles to not rise enough. Also maybe see if the dial is stuck or stripped so that it doesn't close the outlet when you turn it to raise water level inside skimmer.

Reaction score
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice and help and sorry for not being as active on this thread as i should but my problem is solved.
So I walk into a LFS last week and see a used unit on the shelf.
The same Curve 5 as I have, except this unit has a red plastic bracket blocking 1 of the 2 holes in the bottom of the chamber.

Immediately i look at the box it comes in and its quite clear the skimmer has to have both holes blocked off, 1 for venturi and the other blocked.
My unit i bought 2nd hand and it didn't come with box or the red bracket, so my friend cut out a small piece of styrofoam and i blocked the hole... problem solved!

It's working great now!
although not skimming a lot (1cm/week) but its finally working.
It's set on min at a level of 25cm.

Thanks again
Traut

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I’m looking for 2 x Bubble Magus SP6000 skimmer pumps and the supplier doesn’t expect to have stock until the new year. Any suggestions on alternatives in that size or larger

Keanan

2time
Reaction score
Anyone know why the DC pumps on these skimmers would keep switching off? Could it be over heating?

Top Bottom