The Big Move

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by abgg118, 27 Oct 2008.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Hi Guys,

In just more than 1 month's time I have the privilege of moving the following to our new place. It requires going through a narrow gate and down a flight of stairs.

- 5ft Malawi setup
    - 2m Marine setup

They are cabinet tanks.

I haven't really figured out how everything's going to work, but at least I've got lots of 20liter, 100liter and bigger containers. I have redone the marine tank some months ago, with everything in containers around the tank while cleaning it up, but this is going to be something else ...

Just wanted to start getting some sympathy ...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Plan very well and good luck! Lot of hard work is waiting for you :p

4. Andreas

Andreas

Good luck.Moving that 1.8m of mine with nothing inside was a mission:whistling:I sure that there are alot of reefers around there that will give you a hand:)

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

good luck:thumbup: doing a similiar thing(without the move) and i feel for you big time

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

This is the worst thing in the world, the weight of these tanks is :(

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good Luck ABG..... Just take into account - it will be like starting all over again - just with the same life-stock. Good wishes that you will not loose any life-stock!

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

First, the good news - You CAN move a marine setup without any loss of life (I moved a 1.2m mixed reef some 900+ km from Riversdale on the Cape south coast to Bloemfontein with no loss of large life-forms (corals, fish, etc.) I did lose about 80% of the life in my live sand, due to over-heating of the containers stacked directly above the exhaust of the bakkie we moved with.

Now, the bad news - This is HARD work, and you can't stop until everything has been moved...

The easyest (and safest) way of moving would be for you to set up a new tank in the new house as soon as possible, and move some live sand and live rock over to it whilst the old tank is still up and running. This way the new tank can cycle and be ready for your livestock in a month's time.

If you really must move the old tank I would rather place the corals, fish, and (say) 50% of the live rock into one or two large containers which you keep in your old house until the day of the move, and move the tank and the rest of the live rock to the new house as soon as possible (again allowing the tank to settle and cycle during the next month before the big move).

If neither of the above options are possible, you must at least buy/borrow a cannister filter and/or a fluidised bed filter, and run them in your tank for the next month, until the move. This way, you will have a viable aerobic filter in operation to mitigate any ammonium & nitrite spikes which could happen during the first few days after the tank has been moved. The short-term increase in nitrates caused by the aerobic filtration should not be of concern when weighed up against the potentially lethal ammonium and nitrites the filter will neutralise. I would also start to store RO water - at least twice the volume of your system, and buy enough salt to make this volume of sea water. You can then make large 25% - 50% water changes if/when the tank has an ammonium or nitrite spike.

Good luck with the move, and be sure to keep notes and take photos, so you can give us a report back after the move...

9. abgg118

abgg118 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks for all the tips. I'll definately take photos as I go along. Luckily, the move is only about 100m. Still a lot of hassles, though.

10. Hill

Hill

Call that a move.... Thats just a nudge.....:lol:

11. abgg118

OK, the complex gate to the new gate is 100m, which means the move is about 250m, but I'll just nudge away ... ;)

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

well if it was down a hill you could just roll the tank, give it a nudge then and you wont need to do much:)

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

All the best man!

14. abgg118

Except build a new one ... hmmmm ...

15. JD167

JD167

Like Reef Maniac said, once you start don't stop till you are finished. I had to move my 1.2m out and replace with a 1.5m. This basically took me a whole day and I lost 1 cleaner shrimp and almost lost a Coral Beauty. If you don't have a second tank at your new place that you can move the livestock to, I suggest you keep them in large buckets with enough water flow, heat and air(airstone or skimmer) until the tank is moved. Try and plan in such a way that should something happen to the tank itself(crack etc etc), you have a backup plan for your livestock. Good luck with everything! Holding thumbs! :)

O yes! Don't forget to keep a couple of :peroni:'s in the fridge for when you are done. You're going to need them. ;)

16. abgg118

We're moving this Saturday - got a bakkie organised. I'll be moving most of the livestock over to a smaller tank, which I'll set up with live rock and water from the big tank this week. The small tank may be a bit small - if the clowns and Coral Beauty start harassing each other, I've got backup storage arranged.

Anyone around Montgomery park with nothing to do on Saturday? If you twist my arm hard enough I'll let you earn a few beers on Saturday by helping to carry a 2m tank down a flight of stairs ;)

17. abgg118

Tanks were moved successfully - no loss of the few fish and corals I have.
    Livestock now in a 2-footer, liverock in a 4-footer, to be "cooked" before going back into the 2m.

Recent Posts