The best synthetic salt to buy

Reaction score
Hows it guys long time. sorry varsity:006:
listen i buy ready made salt water but apparently coral like a little bit more then what the guy at the pet store makes.
i want everything to be at the best level it can be sooo
1) what is the best synthetic salt to buy?
2)what price we looking at ?
3)what is the very best level to have your salt? ps i have a refractometer to measure

1. Seachem
2. not too sure contact Aquality
3. Sg-1.025

1) table salt
2) about R14 a kg
3)1.025

no im just joking

1) tropic marine but its pricey so real ocean does well as well. lots of guys are using it.
2) i think its a round R400 for 25kg=600l
3) 1.025

I think VIP use seachem bro - Buy premixed from them. I keep my tank at 1.025

Personally I really like the Real Ocean salt, it's very cheap, lots of guys use it and it seems to do the job rather well.

There is no such thing as the best salt!!! Full stop! It comes down to a matter of opinion, budget, intended purpose and accuray of tests. There are very few salt studies which are truly independant, and the few that I would trust leave out some brands or parameters which I am interested in. There is astudy doing the rounds in cyberspace at the moment, using hobbyist kits (mostly salifert IIRC). The tests were done by a hobbyist like me and you. Even though salifert has been the stock standard in terms of test kits, their has been a swing away from it by a lot of hobbyists, and their kits are not available locally on a regular basis.
Given that, I did like the parameters of the D&D salt, which is what I would expect from deltec, but then again, I would expect a hefty price tag when it hits our shores.

Determine what you intend keeping, what your budget allows for and then start doing research.
tropic marine but its pricey so real ocean does well as well.

OMG GAZ, surely you are not punting a product that isn's aqua medic?

GEEZ,theres alot of salts out there i think find a make and stick to it,coz why would they make a brand and its a lot of shit,its al too do how one use it and what other stuf u use,coz u can use Real ocean and if your flow and sump is up to shit then the best salt wil not make your tank all new again,u can use the ceapest salt and that is Dophin 107bux for 5kg makes 169liter and if your tank flow sump is 100% in good state and u like dose seachem,or cape coral,trase elements,calcium,ph and kh buffer and strontium...you can have a flipen awsome good marine tank with happy fish....and even if u dose and all that ceap the sump and every thing clean and if one use filter flos change weekly it can buger up your water in 2ticks..

And w.r.t. Instant Ocean..... Not a favorite of mine, as it requires to much parameter tweaking for MY intended purposes.... But then again, thats my opinion. It is the largest and most establisehed brand of salt in the western reefing world! (probably for good reason) I am sure more marine aquarists use it than NSW!!

Well said all spark........ well, actually the message is right, but wow, your grammar is really difficult to read.

ja im realy sorry to all reefers out there im 100% afrikaans and to tik english takes like my full consintration...:thumbup: but im a reefer and im geting there...

Back
Top Bottom