The beginning (My 40L Nano)

Discussion in 'Full Tank Photo's' started by Gwydion, 10 May 2011.

1. Gwydion

Gwydion

Hi guys,

I couldn`t find my camera so I took pics with my phone. Hope its ok. Basically the layout of my tank.

I moved all of the equipment more or less to one side.. amazing how quickly space runs out:(

I modified the tank at the top to accomodate my skimmer which is finally running:thumbup:

Let me know what you guys think of the setup or if you could suggest a better layout for more space. Or even better what would the best way to go about aquascaping and what can I put in this tank?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Qaiser

Qaiser

4. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

It might only be the angle of the photo but it is actually at the back against the side, or do you mean placing it against the back window?

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

how big is that pump? Is it there for just circulation? You can get smaller ones for circulation that will work well....

6. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

That pump IS quite a hefty one. I need it for my skimmer 1000LpH pump. I thought of maybe putting it up higher or hiding it somehow.. just need to figure that one out still

7. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

Update

Hi all thought id post an update.

Tank is running good for about 6 weeks, life is good and the past Saturday I added a yellow tail blue damsel(which now I`ve heard can be a devil, if someone wants to swop;):thumbup:)

Also have a blue legged hermit inside which has been inside for about 2 weeks now and doing well.

I`ve been looking at a green manderin fish which I think are AWESOME!!!:yeahdude: Good or bad idea?? And what would make a good combination?

Cheers

G :.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  8. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

very very very bad idee honestly

9. archiecrain

archiecrain

Leave the Mandarin....your tank is too new/small to have enough life be able to support it and feeding live food can be a serious pain....

Perhaps some sort of goby? Or bottom dweller? That Damsel may not like you adding another mid swimmer to your tank so rather play is safe...

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  10. barixboy

barixboy

how is your tank running, i have the same tank(being cycling for a few days now),what filter are you using.

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

+10 . A mandarin needs a mature tank with lots of pods and things to feast on. Do some research and know what fish you want to add before going to the lfs to look for a fish.That way you wont buy the wrong fish or a fish thats not suitable for your setup.

12. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

Hi, the tank is running great, I`ve had no problems so far. Basically only have Seachem filter media, purigen bag and ceramic rings in the filter box. I also add some seachem stability about once a week. I check my parameters everyday and do about 10-20% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

I have a perc clown, blue/green chromis with turbo snail, blue hermit and a big tube worm.

I was using a skimmer but decided to take it out because space was running out. Haven`t had hassles yet:thumbup:

G

13. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

how long ago did you add the fish? Whats your parametres like? You might not experience problems now with you removing the skimmer but in a months time or so you might see some algae and a rise in nutrients. thats my c. Unless you do two water changes a week. Then you might be able to keep the nutrients down. thats my 2c

14. Gwydion

Gwydion Thread Starter

The tank has been running for about 3 months now, the fish were added about 6weeks ago. Skimmer was taken out about 4 weeks ago. I haven`t noticed any unusual changes in the system with regards to algae or that, is there anything you can recommend to stop or cancel out the nutrients in the system besides water changes? Or should I make sure I do more frequent water changes, weekly?

G

15. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

What i have found in smaller tanks that if you do regular weekly water changes,it keeps your parameters stable like your ca,mg, etc. I strongly advise regular water changes. I use nsw so its easy for me to say. I do 2 20% water changes a week and my setups never been better.

16. Mc

Mc

Looking good like the live rock.:thumbup:
    Have you put any coral in yet?

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

looks better now :)

Recent Posts