The Beginner Files: Advice and the do's and donts of Reefing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 11 Nov 2009.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok, while reading an old book of mine on reefing i came across a great quote by Charles Delbeek.

Yes many suggestions and advice given here is based on personal experience and of others, and more general guidelines then iron-clad rules, i notice that most beginners are advised on what they bought was wrong/bad etc, yes we know better due to experience etc but instead of making them feel threatened etc, lets work with what they have and in time educate them with examples on why and how etc....
    a good example is bio-balls/ceramic rings, yes these are sold to beginners because the work so well but have some cons too, but most LFS use these, and before any flames, i understand its for a short-time, but then it can be the same for the newbie while we educate him on the scientific side of things and transition them over from the "dark side".

i write this due to many chatting to me off forum about a "hostile environment" which i reply that they took things in the wrong context. Given that no-ones perfect, if we see a mishap/ bad practice etc happening, advise the person to start a thread or provide an existing one on that topic and we can all help and not batter them in their threads :)

I am by no means advocating bad practices or those of experienced reefers to beginners, but sometimes they do get advanced and/or bad information from others off forum.

i hope you all can add to this to make a great experience even better here on MASA,

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

dallas, you may recall that I have a rep for being rather harsh on people at certain times, with strong views on what I think and believe. Generally there are three areas that really wind me up and in no particular order, its when i read a post saying "i know i shouldnt do this but..." ie putting a tang in a nano just because he likes tangs, or putting a nennie in a tank that the reefer knows is not ready. Thats a total disregard for the well being of the animal in captivity and i for one will always speak out against it (tree hugging and all that)

the next will be telling a new reefer that the current "norms and accepted practices" are not true and that they should go experiment. Algae scrubbers fall perfectly as an example there. The problem i have with that line of thought is that one can only really experiment with reefing and find what works for you in each individual case when you have some experience in keeping a reef over a period of time. to suggest to a noob that they should start off questioning the norms starts people off on the wrong foot, pretty much like ignoring incorrect advice from an LFS. In my view poor information should be pointed out before it becomes a problem.

the third is the unnecesary and willfull harm applied to living organisms in captivity. Mollies and lion fish used to keep a reefers intrest while a tank cycles in inexcusable, especially when the reefer has been informed on these topics.

Yes i conceed that a "tough love" approach is hard to swallow, and i am probably the worst culprit of it on here. i could and probably should hold my tongue and not give offence to a reefer i disagree with, but regretably LS is often harmed in the process and thats not fair.

MASA is a friendly place and a great forum. Its an incredible platform to learn on and people are open and willing to disagree or offer constructive advice. Yes at times what others say about how I may keep my reef will be hard for me to swallow and they are probably right, so i have learnt to push emotions aside and accept advice that is offered and I can subscribe to and leave that I dont agree with.

i agree that offereing other information in threads or other websites is better than bashing someone in their thread, however there are times when such approaches are ignored and then a more forthright approach is often more applicable.

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thansk for the reply, i agree 100%, just needed another point of view!

thanks for taking the time to reply, we def going to have to swig a few brews and chat in the near future...

i love MASA, in all my years of reefing, i learnt more here in 9months then in years before...

but yes a swift backhand is needed sometimes to those that dont take advice for the well-being of livestock

thanks dude

5. ted.vanh

ted.vanh

I would just like to chronicle my experience of the "hostile" environment.
    Shortly after purchasing a Sun coral, at the beginning of 2008, I read on this forum a few ways of feeding the Sun. one was using a 2 litre plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and another novel way was put forward by a reefer in Port Elizabeth and that was to take the Sun out and put it into a 2 litre plastic bowl and feed for a few hours. This was met with some enthusiasm on this forum.
    Well I tried the first one which in my case did not work. The Sun was suffering and had started to die back, so I tried the second method and was amazed by the improvement in the Sun, which started to recover and has since spread and formed lots of new polyps.
    About 3 months ago someone on the forum asked how to feed a Sun and I suggested this method to the person only to be attacked on how wrong this method was. I posted pics on the before, during and after feeding process and was still told that I would encounter "temperature problems".
    My point is that I have been using this method for about 20 months now and it works for me so I feel that criticism is uncalled for. Constructive criticism is a welcome thing but criticism for the sake of criticism leaves a bad taste.
    Ted

6. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree Ted....

thats why i prefere starting a new thread about the issue, so when one looks back there is none of that on ones thread

7. JD167

JD167

Ted's reply here is a great example of "what works for you might not work for me". Both suggestions have merrit but might not always work for everyone. That is why a site like MASA is so important. I'm sure that only a handful of Reefers use this Forum.

Where does Reefing start? At the LFS. I feel it's their responsibility to send any newbies to MASA or similar forums to get all the help they need. Sell them the basics if you must but send them to a forum to learn more about the hobby. This hobby can be costly if you start off wrong, not to mention the poor LS you put in danger.

8. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Sadly, most LFS's wont refer them because they just want to make a big sale, and an uneducated person is like a walking piggy bank.

It would be cool to have some sort of advert for the forums outside all LFS's
    that way people will see it :lol:

Recent Posts