The battle for Yellow tangs continues.

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Great input from Walt Smith/ Fiji

Kevin, I applaud your effort to get the industry mobilized to provide opposing testimony. However, being the victim of a ban myself (for over 5 years now) that has ignored all the scientific reports (42) that provided sound evidence of sustainability in the aquarium trade I have learned that there is a big difference between signing a petition and submitting testimony. Testimony, in this case, must be based on first-hand experience of the Hawaiian aquatic environment backed by a factual account of harvest data going back over a certain period of time to assess the actual environmental impact. The only thing that I can "testify" to is my direct experience in Tonga and Fiji, which I am more than happy to do, but that is easy for the opposition to disregard as hearsay from someone with no experience in the Hawaiian reefscape. They can (and will) claim that Hawaii is different with no scientific data whatsoever and, who are these outsiders protesting their actions just to protect a source for their yellow tangs. We have to be very careful not to appear self-serving and approach this as an industry that supports livelihoods and promotes environmental awareness and stewardship. From what I have seen, these people are nasty and will stop at nothing to put an end to our passion to share and continue to learn more about aquatic life. We need people like Bruce and Marj Carlson, Richard Pyle, Brian Green, Charles Delbeek, Gregor Hodgson, anything Jack Randall might have written on the subject and many more like them from Hawaii that can testify to the improved state of the Hawaiian reefs in spite of the aquarium trade. We also need to suggest reasonable regulations and regular monitoring as an offer from our side to prove ongoing sustainability. I am aware of the report that was written by a group of scientist early on in this battle that showed, beyond doubt, not only sustainable harvest but actually improved conditions and increased livestock over time. It was hard to believe that the report was ignored but it was. Perhaps many of us pointing back to that report and using it as part of our testimony or petition will give it more voice this time around. I am not in Fiji right now but I will be back there soon and if its not too late I will be happy to go through my collection of reports (all based on the Indo Pacific region) and share any that seem relevant and useful. We are all in this together and my heart goes out to all those that have lost their livelihood due to this ridiculous ban .... believe me, I can relate. Walt

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210_185407_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_185407_Facebook.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230210_185418_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_185418_Facebook.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230210_185430_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_185430_Facebook.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back